Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Darya's review of WOTW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:19 pm 

I've extremely LOVED this movie. Even more than I would ever had imagined.
It really left me with something to think.
I actually cried at some points.
I've thought about it for a long time after watching it for the first time.

I think David is right when he says that this movie is a sort of
"The Pianist" with aliens in place of nazis.

When the end credits rolled I thought that I hadn't just seen the usual movie about an evil alien invasion but I had indeed watched a highly moving and powerful movie about an ordinary man's struggle to survive and get reunited with his family.

I'm not familiar with the original WOTW story but I can see why it's been so well received by the fans of the book, and, though very freely inspired, is considered amazingly close to its spirit.

David Latt, writer Carlos De Los Rios and all the people involved in the production have been so clever and sensitive to center the story totally around the journey of the main character, George Herbert, and give this character a very deep instrospection, allowing him to actually look "real" to the viewers' eyes, than focusing the whole movie on countless scenes of bloody and repulsive killings by the monstrous creatures from beyond as almost always happens in low budget flicks of this kind.

I think the greatness of this movie relies indeed on the fact that it has a very intelligent script, that well calibrates the horror moments with great insightful dramatic sequences and, when it has to come to the gore, leaves a lot to the viewers' imagination. Nothing is gratuitous in this movie, there is a reason behind each choice. All special effects were used to "serve" the story not to "dominate" it. Tension was there, helped by an impressive and moody score, the background sound effects were very effective, too if not fundamental.

There were also two original songs in the movie, one of them featured in one of my favorite scenes towards the conclusion. I've found those songs to be very well fit in the story, adding a certain pathos to the moment.

I did't really feel there were flaws because of the limited budget because, in my opnion, they filled the movie with something a lot more effective than 140 millions of dollars of CGI aliens: they filled it with Passion, Inspiration and Heart. You can actually feel the Love and the Fun they've put in the realization of this little contender of the huge carnival that Spielberg movie probably is.

And when you have all these elements so well mixed together,
even if there is imperfection,
you can only sense and see the beauty on its ensemble.

If the script and all the technical aspects were managed with brilliancy by David, Carlos and the special effects people in order to build an interesting and entertaining quality product,
I must say that all the movie's GRACE falls entirely on the shoulders of the excellent cast.

The acting from all (and by all I mean all! From the main protagonist to the walk-on extras) is stunning. You get REAL people out of the characters in this movie, not some cardbox unidimensional figurines.
You can feel their thoughts, their emotions, you sincerely feel empathy
for the unthinkable tragedy they are living. And that's why you can totally identify with the characters.

They are ordinary people, frightened, confused and powerless like all of us would be, if forced to face a similar situation. I think the aliens were just a pretext. This movie is about the strenght of the Human Will and the triumph of it over the nonsense of what we cannot easily control or understand in our everyday life. It doesn't necessary have to be a war, I think everyone has their personal intimate tragedies to overcome. Everyone has a journey to make to re-join or to find what it really matters or gives a sense to their life.

And how could you deliver such strong and important message
if you don't have a genuinely strong cast, cabable to embody those characters and make them breathe?

I will not say this because I'm a huge admirer of his, but C. Thomas Howell's perfomance in this movie is nothing short than breathtaking. Man, this is ACTING at the highest levels.
I was devasted by his performance. His level of intensity in certain scenes simply left me speechless. I keep wondering how could it be that he's been so cruelly forgotten by Hollywood.
It's simply outrageous.
I guess one day some Divine Justice will finally reward him for his talent.

(On a side note I must say that I was particularly moved to see him interact with his son Dashiell.
It's been a strong emotion for me to hear the cutie telling him: "I love you Daddy" and by the way that kid is beautiful!!!).

A very impressive performance is also delivered by Rhett Giles who plays Pastor Victor (love his Australian accent!!!)
I guess one one my fave scenes in the movie is when Victor's character first appears: it looked like a sort of a dream, a sort of a relieving vision after George's exhausted, sleepless and feverish night. You'll know what I mean when you'll see the movie.

Another powerful dramatic scene involves Kim Little's character.
(David's lovely and TALENTED wife)
Again, I don't want to get into details but let me say that she played her part with such strenght that it's almost unbearable to watch her.

Andy Lauer and Jake Busey's characters helped a lot taking a pause from the dramatic tension, playing their characters with great enthusiasm and originality.

Even the small cameo of Peter Greene in the role of George's brother
is highly moving and remarkable.

David Latt directed this movie with great sensibility.
He's for sure a great storyteller.
He knew he was embarking himself on a perilous challenge when he decided to realize this movie and face the imponent attack of the Dreamworks ultra mega blockbuster flick.
But he didn't let himself get intimidated or discouraged because he was confident that his little movie would have had a SOUL and a reason to be.

This is literally the story of David versus Goliath and we all know how it ends, right?

I'm sure Asylum's adaptation of the book will stay in people hearts vividly.
This is a powerful emotional experience, believe me.

I'm aware we are living in an unfair world. In an ideal world this movie would be shown in movie theaters around the planet and not just sitting in your local videostore shelf crossing fingers and hoping for word spreading.

I only hope everyone watching this movie will immensely enjoy it.
Sometimes the most amazing things comes from the less obvious and totally unexpected places.

:D

AB AMORE NON RECEDAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

You've wet my appetite further. =P~

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:00 am 
Tripod King

It's beginning to give me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Concentrating so much on the acting, music, etc. leads me to believe that the special effects must be crap. And let's face it: special effects are what we want to see when we watch sci fi movies. If you want to watch people you care about dealing with difficult situations, then watch something like "Gone With the Wind" or "Moby Dick" (the Huston-produced version back in the 1950s, with Gregory Peck as Ahab and Richard Basehart---the future "Admiral Nelson" in the sci fi series "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"---as Ishmael). If you want to see movies with beautiful music, even when they're not musicals, try "Moby Dick" (again!), or "Rough Riders" (the Bernstein music in that film will leave you in tears), or "Ben Hur" or the original version of "Around the World in 80 Days". But with sci fi films, we want to see fancy special effects, because sci fi films are just about the only place we can expect to consistently see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:16 pm 
Martian War Lord

I don't agree with that. Not all science fiction needs oodles of SFX but War of the Worlds does to really do it the ultimate justice. But the JW album and the Radio play didn't have any. And they rock. Neither does the book for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:55 am 
Tripod King

No special effects! The effects on the radio play were so good that they started a nationwide panic in one of the strongest countries in the world. As for the book, it utilized the greatest special effects of all: the imaginations of its readers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:03 am 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
No special effects! The effects on the radio play were so good that they started a nationwide panic in one of the strongest countries in the world. As for the book, it utilized the greatest special effects of all: the imaginations of its readers.

Yes but they wasum sound effects we is um talkin about um visual effects.

Do um you understand um difference? Am me writing um slow enough?

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ]