Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:29 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yeah, that's the one. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:13 am 

8)

Insert witty, yet philosophical remark here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

We need another Lepper Messiah to disagree with everything everyone else says.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:26 pm 
Martian War Lord

[-X No, I think your wrong there Loz [-( .... :-k But I don't know why :a037:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:09 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
[-X No, I think your wrong there Loz [-( .... :-k But I don't know why :a037:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What we need is JW to get his finger out and make that CGI movie, then they'd flood here again.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:45 am 

Hey, all, I didn't want to start up a new thread, so I thought I'd just chuck this in here...
Sorry I've been away for a while. My city (and half my state, plus several other states in the US Midwest) was recently flooded during storms & their aftermath. Whilst my city wasn't hit nearly as badly as others, it was still bad, but the worst is behind us and cleanup has begun in earnest.
My own home suffered some minor flood damage, and I lost some things, but nothing irreplaceable.
Cleanup & return to a normal work schedule have kept me busy, but now I'll have fun playing 'catch up' here on the forum. Again, just like when I first started lurking around here. (Fewer new boards to check out this time, though, so it shouldn't take as long!)

Do we have an emoticon wearing SCUBA gear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

:( Sorry to here about your flooding, It must be something about this time of year, Britain was hit with severe flooding a year ago, some people are only just getting back into their homes now.

Anyway, Welcome Back. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:56 am 

Thanks!
Heard about the UK floods as they happened; I hope recovery for those affected is finally close to completion!
Parts of the US are still battling high waters, but as I said, my city's finally getting back to normal. The river's still swollen, but no longer overflowing its banks, and the groundwater saturation that plagued just about everyone (even in higher-elevated portions of the city) seems back to normal.
Flashing back to the storms that spawned the flooding...
Not only could the flood have been worse, we almost got hit by a tornado! I should say a funnel cloud; it never quite had rotation on the ground, so technically wasn't a tornado, but a friend of mine actually saw the funnel descending from the wall cloud under the cloud base. (Any weather/tornado fans around here? I'll go into more detail on tornado formation if anyone likes, but it's not necessary to this discussion.) Suffice to say, we got lucky!
A small town north of my city did get hit by a small tornado (which caused light damage) the first day, then had to contend with flooding the next. They set up a sandbag 'canal' right through their downtown to channel the flowing water through the town, instead of the water just flowing into the town. Brilliant! (I heard unconfirmed reports that the ploy ultimately didn't hold, and the flooding spread... I must find out for certain, but still, their effort is to be applauded!)
As for me, I didn't have to evac, but I did almost get caught by rising waters whilst attempting to drive my vehicle around town. Went down one street, and in less than ten minutes on my return trip, the street was flooding and about to be barricaded. Even though my vehicle has high ground clearance, I barely made it through the water. (It wasn't flowing, or I'd never have even tried to cross it. Never try to drive or walk across flowing water, even if it's shallow!)
Later that evening, I was in the country surrounding my city trying to get back into town (this time blocked by flowing water on a different road; found an alternate route) when a second tornado warning went into effect. The cloud cover was so thick, it turned dusk into midnight, and I couldn't tell if I was heading into danger by going into town, or already in danger just by being where I was! Fortunately, I had a cel phone along and called someone in town to ask if they were OK; they confirmed that the city itself wasn't in danger, so I high-tailed it back.
Exciting days, to say the least!
Anyway, flashing forward to now, I think most people in my city are back in their homes, though cleanup is going to take months for some of them. In my case, the flood damage was relatively light and relatively easy to clean up once the water was pumped out... no mud, no backed up sewage. My big concern is over mold & mildew, which I'll be keeping an eye out for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:00 am 
Martian War Lord

What you want is an industrial dehumidifier or two, when my brother's mother-in-law was flooded last year he brought the dehumidifiers from work and they ran for about two weeks and each one removed about three gallons of water per-day, if you haven't got one then buy one they are well worth it. All the other houses in the street were infected with mould and mildew except his mother-in-laws.

At the moment we have hurricane blowing out side, we have a 60ft silver birch at the bottom of out garden and it is bending in a most alarming way, luckily silver birch is a very flexible tree and can bend quite a long way before it breaks ( [-o< I hope [-o< ).

And as for flooded Roads :roll:
Our local council closed a road last year due to the flooding but of course I knew better. #-o for keep fit reasons I ride a bike to and from work, in the morning the road was a little flooded and I had to lift my feet off the pedals to keep them dry, not a problem. 8) that evening I thought I'd do the same going home, ](*,) big mistake the water submerged my bike completely and rose as high as my chest, much to the amusement of the local kids, it's hard to look cool when you're floundering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:08 am 

That's funny! I'd done that when I was young, on purpose, with a group of friends. We had a blast trying to see who could ride the farthest into the flood, who could make the biggest spalsh & still stay upright, that sort of thing.

I heard that a guy lost his car during the floods here, when he was coming home & didn't realise that the water was so deep over the road... his car floated off the road before sinking in a field; he swam back to the road, and walked back to the nearest farm house. Nobody was home, so he stayed huddled in their barn until they got home a couple hours later, after which they let him use their phone to call for help.
Wow!
The car was recovered a week later after the waters had subsided.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
We need another Lepper Messiah to disagree with everything everyone else says.

Ah I remember him.... someone dig him back up :alien:

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject: Re: Hi! (Or Ullaaaa!)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

No we've not heard from him for about three years. :-k

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page