Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:11 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Love the dic world books and love that picture.

Those Fighting Fantasy books are not Video games.

What are they then? role-playing games?

This is a rough I did for an alternative cover for 'Soul Music' with one of my favourite characters 'THE DEATH OF RATS'

Attachments:
Soul Music rough.jpg
Soul Music rough.jpg [ 129.65 KiB | Viewed 13083 times ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:40 pm 
Martian War Lord

Nice pic, man!

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:44 pm 
Martian War Lord

yeah to the death of rats. my fave disc world novel is Pyramids. great picture once more. nice use of clour.

the fighting fantasy books were role play but much less complex than dungeons and dragons say. it was a book in which you played the hero. you'd read a parragraph and then at the bottom you'd have multiple options.
draw your sword, gp to 32.

cast a spell turn to 45.

or beg for forgiveness, turn to 103.

sort of thing.

they were massive in the 80's. here's a link. http://www.fightingfantasygamebooks.com/

they just got r-released.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:04 am 
Martian War Lord

After seeing some of those monsters on that site I think I'll go to page 103 pplleeaassee :shock: :alien2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:23 am 
Martian War Lord

When I was a little kid there were two books that made a big impression on me. one of them was Ted Hughes' 'The Iron Man'. back in 1989 Pete Townsend (of the Who) made a musical version of it, which reawakened my interest in this story.
In this scene the vilages have dug a huge pit to trap the Iron Man.

Attachments:
DIG.jpg
DIG.jpg [ 106.35 KiB | Viewed 13062 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:06 am 
Martian War Lord

They obviously succeeded in that.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:01 am 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
After seeing some of those monsters on that site I think I'll go to page 103 pplleeaassee :shock: :alien2:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

103 - You turn and run from the Trapdoor creature, in your haste you forget about the metal stud protuding from the floor, which you avoided earlier. Turn to 399.

399 - Your heavy boot presses down on a metal stud protruding from the floor. There is a loud grating noise as a compartment in the stone ceiling just in front of you slides open, a huge metal ball covered in sharp spikes, swings down from it on a thick chain. It slams into your chest with considerable force. Do you wear the God Bone Amulet? If you do turn to 327.
If not turn to 12.

Lonesome Crow wrote:
When I was a little kid there were two books that made a big impression on me. one of them was Ted Hughes' 'The Iron Man'. back in 1989 Pete Townsend (of the Who) made a musical version of it, which reawakened my interest in this story.
In this scene the vilages have dug a huge pit to trap the Iron Man.

I love this picture. The Iron Man is one of my fave stories. I re-read it about two years ago, after origionally reading it in Junior School.

The Pete Towsend Album I also have as I am a fan of his and The Who. It's a bit hit and miss. I love the Dragon's song and The Who's version of Fire is great. I probably klike all trhe songs indavidually, but it doesn't work as an album for me.
He did a stage show of it for schools.

Have you seen the Iron Giant? Its the Iron Man in a different name so the American market wouldn't get confused with the Marvel characrter.
They changed the story quite a bit but it is one of my all time favourite cartoons. I cried at the end.

Your picture is wonderful. I love the angle you have gone for. The way we care down in the pit with him. And he look lifeless.
Another Peter Fussy spectacular! =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:03 am 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Have you seen the Iron Giant? Its the Iron Man in a different name so the American market wouldn't get confused with the Marvel characrter.
They changed the story quite a bit but it is one of my all time favourite cartoons. I cried at the end.

Your picture is wonderful. I love the angle you have gone for. The way we care down in the pit with him. And he look lifeless.
Another Peter Fussy spectacular! =D>

:a103: Gee, Thanks Loz, Praise indeed :oops:
I haven't seen the Iron Giant yet, I know it has Jennifer Aniston playing someone called Annie Hughes, Is this the American version of the Hogarth character?

I haven't read the book since I was in Junior School, I should read it again sometime. most of my memories of the book have probably been corrupted by listening to the musical version, although I do enjoy the album.

Yes I am wearing The God Bone Amulet [-o<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

Jennifer Aniston plays Hogarths single parent/mother.

It's set in the 50's and it's just beautifully made.

Your welcome for the praise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:08 am 
Martian War Lord

OK, you have covinced me I'll get it :D

This is the other book that made a big impression on me, The Hobbit, I was hooked on Fantasy after we read it at school.

Attachments:
RIDDLES IN THE DARK.jpg
RIDDLES IN THE DARK.jpg [ 54.88 KiB | Viewed 13035 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

Nice Work, Lonesome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

You notice I have been putting a lot of dark pictures up, Loz will be running out of ink any day now :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:10 am 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
You notice I have been putting a lot of dark pictures up, Loz will be running out of ink any day now :twisted:

You bet I will! #-o

Your Gollum is very much as I imagined him when I read the book as a child. strange thing is I was thinking of rereading it today.

Another great picture. Sting is glowing, so Orcs are close!

I too got into fantasy big time I think through either seeing the Lord of the Rings cartoon or watching Hawk the Slayer as a youngster.
I thought the recent Rings trilogy was almost perfect. The designs are incredible. So much thought went into them.
Bring on the Hobbit!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:03 am 
Martian War Lord

Yes agreed, I would have thought after the success of the trilogy the Hobbit would have been snatched up, It would also make a good TV series, there are so many cliffhangers in the story it would be ideal.

Get ready with some more Red & Yellow Ink, Here comes Smaug.

Who can spot what is wrong with this picture?, Clue; it's not the Dragon it's something to do with the scenery :-k :wink:

Attachments:
DEATH OF SMAUG.jpg
DEATH OF SMAUG.jpg [ 145.69 KiB | Viewed 12993 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

I tried looking at the angles seeing if they were out and then decided even if they were the whole heat effect would be warping everything anyway. i can't spot it Lonesome, although I am pretty st*ned at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:57 am 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
I tried looking at the angles seeing if they were out and then decided even if they were the whole heat effect would be warping everything anyway. i can't spot it Lonesome, although I am pretty st*ned at the moment.

No nothing like that Loz, It's just that Smaug fell on Lake-Town and Lake-Town only had a wooden bridge I painted a stone one #-o ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:13 pm 
Martian War Lord

Jeez! I don't remember the details like that. Its been about 24 years since I read it. but shame on you for getting it wrong. [-X You'll have Handling Machines hunting and capturing humans next! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

:shock: Oh'! don't say that, it was only a little mistake, It won't happen again [-o<

Here's one you can't say I got wrong, once again it's from one of my unfinished stories. It was about a nuclear war that killed off all the higher species on the planet, leaving insects and arachnids as the dominant life forms. The spiders were the good guys, they were the underdogs as the insects evolved faster (with all the radiation) and used the spiders as slaves, until the spiders tried to fight back and the insects decide to wipe them out once and for all. in the end it turned out man had not died out he just went under ground waiting for the earth to heal itself, when man returned he needed a large quantity of High-protien foods. insects would do nicely, so the spiders were saved, and they all lived happily ever after :-k except the insects :D

The story was going to take you through the evolution of the insects and arachnids starting with the primative creatures and progressing to creatures that could use weapons of mass destruction.

This picture is about half way through their evolution. 'HMS WALNUT' crewed by Leaf-cutter ants.

Attachments:
H.M.S. Walnut.jpg
H.M.S. Walnut.jpg [ 89.82 KiB | Viewed 13021 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

:-k Just incase you haven't noticed the hull of the ship is half a walnut shell :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:56 am 
Martian War Lord

I noticed the nut. Which made me realize that they don't grow gigantic.

I absolutely love that story idea, it is brilliant. Be careful what you tell another writer. We can be terrible magpies.

I came up with an idea years ago about three superpowers that ruled the universe. Spider like aliens, insect like aliens and humans. The Humans and insects had to ally themselves against the stronger spiders.

Your idea is far better. I like the way you have made the Spiders the goodies. That really is something special. The whole thing sounds like it could be a massive success. You should try and finish it. Maybe aim it at kids and keep it fairly simple. I like the way the insects wear clothes too. It could be for more religious or traditional reasons than necessaty.

have you any more paintings fronm this idea and what was it called?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:55 am 
Martian War Lord

Originally it was going to be called '30,000 years after man' (it was only at the end of the story you find out those are insect years and only a few decades have past in human years) I changed the title to something better, but for the life of me, I can't remember what too :-k It was something like 'Echoed evolution' or 'Repeated evolution' because the insects were making the same mistakes we humans had made.
Yes I do have more paintings from this story but HMS Walnut was the best, they were done shortly after I left school, at that time I was painting in oils and I don't know how well they would scan, I'll give it a go.
The trouble with the story was, if you choose a bunch of good guys (The spiders) and a bunch of bad guys (The insects) your story should concentrate on the good guys (they should be the main characters) but I enjoyed painting the insects more than the spiders :roll: so the story was scraped back in 1983/4 if any one wants to take it up they are welcome, the thing is I am not a writer, I sometimes have good ideas but can't express them well on paper, so I'll leave that to people like you.
Did anything come of your story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:35 pm 
Martian War Lord

I may well come back to you one day to co produce your idea. As i really think it has legs. I think it is okay to focus on the bad guys. Anyway I love it. The ants mandibles are amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:20 am 
Martian War Lord

Here are some of the oil paintings I did back in 1980 they are not great (some of them make me cringe :lol: )
The first is a 'Wasp training camp' (The wasps are a bit like the SS)
The second is 'Slaughter in the Nursery' this is the point where slavery turns to genocide.
The third is the 'Attack on the Leader' a failed attempt to assassinate the leader of the escaped slaves (a bit of Spartacus here)
And the fourth is 'Retaliation' the spiders ally with giant mutant worms and attack the insect's fuel supplies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

Nice pics. Long live the spiders!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:31 pm 
Martian War Lord

They did :D

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8
 >> Next