Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 14 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:16 am 

<a href='http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/large_2.html' target='_blank'>http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/wa...ds/large_2.html</a><br /><br />You can see what I believe is a tripod in the scene with the ferry - look carefully behind it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:24 am 
Martian War Lord

I see what you mean, hadn't spotted that!<br /><br />Great trailer, I'm off back to bed now though (5.20am UK)<br /><br />TRAILER LINK HERE ALSO : <a href='http://webmaster.waroftheworlds.com/click.html?c=SPHMTL' target='_blank'>waroftheworlds.com</a><br /><br /> :D -_-

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:32 am 

Fighting machine is in the background of this image, looks like it is tipping the ferry.<br /><br />Also noted ice droplets falling on Cruise when he was off his feet during the ground heaving...seems the little invader chaps were possible frozen underground?<br /><br />Not a bad concept, not great either. I'm still highly interested in the flick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:36 am 

*watching*<br /><br />*Is slightly impressed so far*<br /><br />...I doubt that there is an "opening of the cylinder"...but there is something very similar to it...<br /><br />And we finally see (or almost see) what Cruise's Character saw...<br /><br />...as for the ferry scene...I don't know what that thing is behind the ferry...But...it looks interesting...<br /><br />*watching it in Large format now*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:46 am 
Martian War Lord

Here it is...

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Last edited by eveofthewar on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:30 am 
Advanced Member

Well, it certainly doesn't look very terrestrial, but they also keep enough of it hidden so you can't really tell what it looks like. At least we got a glimpse of it. I'm sure the ferry scene is going to be a major high point of the film. I liked the trailer overall, much better than the Super Bowl spot. Not sure about the idea of the NotMartians coming up from underground. Maybe we will see cylinders push up through the ground then thr tripods come out of them. We'll just have to see how they handle it. The trailer definitely left me wanting more. It's still called a teaser trailer which means the "big trailer" is yet to come. Hope it shows up soon...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:01 am 

When I saw this screen capture, I thought it reminded me of some conceptual art that I'd seen somewhere on eveofthewar.co.uk. I can't seem to find it, but it's around here somewhere...<br /><br />After looking at some other sites, I tracked down a website that showed the art that I was thinking of. It's a conceptual illustration of a tripod, by an artist named Martin Mercer:<br /><br />www.martinmercer.com<br /><br />Should be pretty easy to get the image from that link, at least I hope. At first, I thought 'aha! The dimly-glimpsed whatchamajiggy in the background of the ferry scene is a dead ringer for the tripod in this painting!' Then, after I actually went back and saw Mercer's painting again, I'm not so sure. It's not even clear that the Mercer painting was actually done for the Paramount film. (It does seem to show London in the background, after all...)<br /><br />But, there are at least some superficial similarities. If the thing in the ferry screencap is a tripod, it has a rather wide 'stance' or 'base', and the legs are presumably almost completely submerged. The 'head' or 'superstructure' may have an 'inverted cone' shape, at least in general, and that's somewhat reminiscent of the Mercer painting.<br /><br />There's my wild speculation for the day...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:26 am 

I dont like that art by martin mercer It has a neet twist to it<br />but as far as this whole movie and book goes it dons'nt fit.<br />I sure hope that I dont see that in the paramount movie. <_< <br /><br />Here is what I like-<br /> Image<br /><br />

<a href='http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/jefwood.jpg' target='_blank'>http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/jefwood.jpg</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:46 am 
Advanced Member

Perrotin wrote:
When I saw this screen capture, I thought it reminded me of some conceptual art that I'd seen somewhere on eveofthewar.co.uk. I can't seem to find it, but it's around here somewhere...

After looking at some other sites, I tracked down a website that showed the art that I was thinking of. It's a conceptual illustration of a tripod, by an artist named Martin Mercer: www.martinmercer.com Should be pretty easy to get the image from that link, at least I hope. At first, I thought 'aha! The dimly-glimpsed whatchamajiggy in the background of the ferry scene is a dead ringer for the tripod in this painting!' Then, after I actually went back and saw Mercer's painting again, I'm not so sure. It's not even clear that the Mercer painting was actually done for the Paramount film. (It does seem to show London in the background, after all...)

But, there are at least some superficial similarities. If the thing in the ferry screencap is a tripod, it has a rather wide 'stance' or 'base', and the legs are presumably almost completely submerged. The 'head' or 'superstructure' may have an 'inverted cone' shape, at least in general, and that's somewhat reminiscent of the Mercer painting.There's my wild speculation for the day...

At one point there was speculation that those paintings were conceptual pieces for Paramount's film, but it was later confirmed that they weren't. From what I can see, the tripod in the trailer looks very mechanical, much more so than the Mercer paintings. Hard to tell for sure though from that brief, partial glimpse.

Want more!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:07 pm 

I was greatly underwhelmed by this trailer, wasnt very exciting :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:16 pm 

Gerkinman wrote:
I was greatly underwhelmed by this trailer, wasnt very exciting :(

The second trailer certainly spent a lot of it's time showing human actors, especially Cruise and Fanning. More of the human-interest subplot is revealed. For hardcore WotW fans, this drama stuff is probably not going to excite. Give me martians! Give me tripods!

They know that's what we all want to see, so they're playing all coy. However, I'm sure Paramount is making sure the movie has a wider reach than just us WotW fans. The second trailer looks to have been designed to excite more of the drama fans than the tripod fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:22 pm 

Image<br /><br />Thanks to amigang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:34 am 

The scene on the ferry looks to be a very exciting part of the movie and whatever that is in the background, it looks big, alien and scary....excellent.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:10 pm 

The trailer was ok, but it didn't exactly flick my bean.<br />Give us some alien action. DO IT MR SPIELY ICEBERG LETTUCE

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 14 posts ]