View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 18 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:25 pm 
Tripod King

Well todays news that Paramount could very well prevent an even slightly significant release of Pendragons film both in the cinemas and on DVD is obviously not what i wanted to hear. In Europe it could be prevented from being released totally (although that would not stop me getting hold of it from somewhere).<br /><br />I have bourne with the Paramount production despite all the plot changes that have come to light, the disrespectful attitude shown by Paramount at every level to the actual story, and the utterly asinine comments about the project from its PR team (what in gods name is a creative re-imagining of a story) and the media and yes singled out for special attention in the stupidity and ignorance stakes, the movies leading man. Yes obviously I have passed comment and expressed my opinion on these things loud and long but all along I've been waiting to give the movie a whirl round and see if they can't pull something decent out of it, I was prepared to do that much no matter how bad it looked. However, should Paramount deny Pendragon the release of their film, and in so doing deny the story they are supposed to be adaptings greatest fans the chance to see someones take on doing the movie in its original setting, in that case then, not because I think it will make one iota of difference to the movies success but because I could not in principle give money to the production that would have stifled a film I very much wanted to see that they were worried that id spend money on that wouldnt then be going to them, then I will not go to see their film in the cinema, nor will I buy their DVD. But if they are so keen for me to watch their movie it would be a small matter to download it, satisfied in the knowledge that not one member of the movie's production team will make any money whatsoever out of my doing so. And I think I'll combine the money I would have spent going to see both films on the nice new edition of the Jeff Wayne album when it comes out.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:12 am 
Martian War Lord

We'll let you know what it's like :D <br /><br />I wonder if they (Paramount that is) will prevent Jeff's version being released as well? :huh: :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:32 am 
Tripod King

I very much doubt Paramount had anything to do with Pendragon's version not hitting the cinemas.<br /><br />The fact that Pendragon's version is quite clearly only of straight-to-DVD quality has ensured that.<br /><br />That and Pendragon's utter ineptitude at every level.<br /><br />Jeff Wayne, on the other hand, will have no problems from Paramount. Apart from being a consummate professional who knows what he's doing, his version won't be out for a year or two, I should imagine, so there is no clash whatsoever with Paramount.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:47 am 
Tripod King

Pendragon hasnt "not hit the cinemas" yet<br /><br />Nothing is even known for definate about Pendragons end product yet<br /><br />oh and Crow, as i said, worst case scenario is I download it. :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:35 am 

Well those tw*ts at Paramount want hanging and i for one will not be watching their bastardisation under any circumstances.Infact i wouldn't watch it on a stolen<br />video recorder pirate copy...............shove it paramount.I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pendragons film was a hoax by paramount just to hype their film. :angry:

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:36 am 
Tripod King

The chances of Pendragon's film hitting the cinemas are a million to one against.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:54 am 
Martian War Lord

The Curate wrote:
Well those tw*ts at Paramount want hanging and i for one will not be watching their bastardisation under any circumstances.Infact i wouldn't watch it on a stolen video recorder pirate copy...............shove it paramount.I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pendragons film was a hoax by paramount just to hype their film.

Calm yourself mate...

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Last edited by eveofthewar on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:55 am 

Well at least we have still got the book and them bloody film makers can never take that away from us.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

The Curate wrote:
Well at least we have still got the book and them bloody film makers can never take that away from us.

That is very true. The book will always be the best. But I am very much looking forward to both the Paramount & Pendragon movies, whether they are completely true to the book or not.

Pendragons will be great to see something thats as close as can be to the book. Paramounts I will find easier to relate to, the modern setting and some great special effects..... I also like Cruise and Spielberg.

And then 2007 is Jeff's movie........"it's all good!"

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Last edited by eveofthewar on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:23 pm 

My opinion: wait to get the good stuff:<br /><br />-Lego releases viking sets and new castle stuff in autnumn :P<br />-2007: Jeff Wayne's version of War of the Worlds.<br /><br />The good stuff allways comes to late though.

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:44 pm 
Martian War Lord

Can we have some toys please? Out of all these films I at least want my very own articulated tripod to play with, and a handling machine!<br />Jeff, just make sure we can buy some bloody fighting machines at the end of all this! Ones with squidgy eye things, please.<br />Big remote controle tripods that go Ulla in various ways. <br />Make sure there are little men in the baskets an all.<br />The films can be good bad, shown not shown as long as there are toys!!!!

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:34 am 

Some pretty bad losers around here :P <br /><br />The Pendragon mess is all to blame to Paramount/Spielberg :D <br /><br />I guess it has nothing to do with the fact the fact Hines messed up big time huh.<br /><br />I'll think of when I watch the movie that will make it to the theatre :D :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:14 pm 
Tripod King

curious wrote:
Some pretty bad losers around here  :P The Pendragon mess is all to blame to Paramount/Spielberg :D I guess it has nothing to do with the fact the fact Hines messed up big time

I'll think of when I watch the movie that will make it to the theatre :D  :P

bad losers eh? well curious ive explained this to you before but since you dont seem to be taking it in i will type slowly and with big lettersTHIS.... IS.... NOT.... ABOUT.... SIDES.... OR.... WINNING.... OR.... LOSING.... IT.... IS.... SIMPLY.... ABOUT.... WANTING.... TO.... SEE.... A.... MOVIE now if you can get your head around that, lets try something a bit more advanced and with smaller letters, if you can handle it, that is.

The point here is if Paramount think that by taking legal action and preventing me from seeing Pendragons movie (they won't incidently, even if it gets the smallest scale release ill get hold of it somehow) that they will increase the amount I spend on watching their movie then they will find that the actual effect will be that I simply download it and dont spend any money on a movie ticket or a DVD. Of course, I dont have any illusion this will affect Paramount in the slightest, but I couldn't give any money to see Paramounts effort on principle.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:17 pm 

Leper Messiah wrote:
bad losers eh? well curious ive explained this to you before but since you dont seem to be taking it in i will type slowly and with big letters

Just calling it as I see it :P
But you guys are in enough pain as it is already, so I won't rub it in any further :P It's not just this thread though. You can say this isn't about taking ides or about winners or losers a milion times, most messages on this board are extremely ani-Paramount and pro-Pendragon.

having seen the trailer of the last I can't come up for a reason for that, but allas.. ;) I have my thoughts about that but when I write that down we'll return to the dicussion from a while back. I'm not the one who turned things into a competition but when I read messages that are so negative one way (without really knowing what you are talking about yet) and heaping praise on a movie that looks bad and has been messed up badly, I can't help but comment on it. But I won't make it too bad, I don't hang around much around here anymore, anyway Still, sorry you will miss the big movie on the big screen. Best place to see it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:14 pm 
Tripod King

Curious, ive made several comments that i beleive Pendragons will be the superior adaptation. Scales of release, whether it ends up in the cinema and number of tickets sold are all gloriously irrelevant to that criterea.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:21 pm 

I too was very much looking forward to the pendragon version and i will be very dissapointed if it does'nt get at least a limited cinema release but it seems the power of hollywood is just to great these days.<br />I will be going to see the paramount version because i've waited a very long time for any new versions of wotw to be made and so i will make up my own mind about it and wait with great anticipation for the jeff wayne version.<br />If the pendragon version does not get a uk or even an anywhere cinema release then i'll download it which i'd rather not do because i would rather the cash went to pendragon but i will see it one way or another wether tom cruise wants me to or not.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:24 am 

The bottom dollar 'curious' is this.The simple fact as to 'why' it seems so pro pendragon on this forum is probebly because they are doing a film of the book.To me any film maker 'doing' the book is to a certain extent going to be a winner with the fans of the book.(talk about stating the obvious).Then on the other hand a film maker doing their 'own thing' to a certain extent is not going to appeal to the fans of the book(once again,talk about stating the obvious)I will put it like this again for the cheap seats...................5% of us are fans of Wells written text and as for the other 95%.........well,they like to 'join in' and thats all that certain companies are doing,merely joining in for cash.Ever wondered curious as to why the world is so messed up!Well there you go............... <_< :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:05 pm 

Much ado about nothing. In the current state of theater exhibition, there's really no market for Hines' film. Back when I used to work in a "Cheap seats" theater in the late 80's, the film might have made it on the "Regional release" circuit, but that market has pretty much dried up and shifted to straight-to-video. If this had been more of an arthouse (Like say "Sideways" or the like.) film, it could have picked up a distributor at Sundance, but this doesn't look likely at this point.<br /><br />Simply put: Even if Paramount stays mum, it's highly unlikely you'd see it in more than a handful of theaters. <br /><br />Pendragon probably incurred Paramount's wrath by timing their release date so closely to theirs, and hooking up with a dvd distributor known for cashing in on consumer confusion. This is probably the most profitable route they could have gone, but it makes them look exploitive. I think it's reasonable for Paramount to be concerned that if the Pendragon film turns out crappy, it may confuse and turn off audiences. Also, if Pendragon had plans to release the movie in Europe or Asia, it would've made good sense to make sure it had the legal right to do so.<br /><br />I wouldn't worry much about not getting to see Hines' version. Even if it's not commercially released on DVD in England, you'll probably be able to pick it up quite cheaply on eBay. (You will probably need a region free player though.) if you don't want to financially support Paramount's film because you don't like how they're adapting the book, that's perfectly reasonable, but the nature of this particular competition isn't black & white.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 18 posts ]