View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 5 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: DVD Reveals Spielburg's Hatred of Military
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:01 am 
Tripod King

We've had some back-and-forth discussions already about how Spielburg's version of WOTW is really a thinly-veiled hatefest against the US military, particularly its war against Islamic terrorism. For those of you who have the DVD version of the movie, there should be no doubt of this at all.

Pop the DVD in your player. You don't even have to play any of the movie itself. Just get on the section where you can flip on to individual scenes in the movie. Now go to section---9-12, I believe it is---to the time when the fleeing family pulls over so Dakota Fanning can have a bathroom break and the troop convoy comes rumbling by. There is a picture of the troop convoy, and the heading under it says it all: "Worst of Man".

Note that this part of the film doesn't even have anything to be compared to the war in Iraq. The American troops shown here are courageously moving out to take on a technologically-superior enemy that has attacked their own homeland, and yet the so-called American who wrote this has condemned them as little more than vermin. Under the circumstances, one would think this would have been far better titled "Best of Man".

By no stretch of the imagination was H.G. Wells a militarist, much less an imperialist, yet even he never showed such psychotic hatred for the military when it was engaged in the defense of its own homeland, as in WOTW. In his book, the troops even pull off an occasional kill or crippling (Weybridge and St. George's Hill), while the "Thunder Child" encounter should be thought of as either a draw or a pyrrhic victory (the Martian objective was to capture the fleeing ships, and they were stopped from getting any). Somewhere in this forum is a review in which the reviewer said that the sinking of the Hudson ferry was the equivalent of the "Thunder Child" episode in the original novel. Wrong; the ferry attack was the equivalent of what would have happened if the "Thunder Child" hasn't been there.

The main reason I've openly favored Hines' version of WOTW over Spielburg's, despite all the flak I've gotten from virtually everyone else on the Forum, is because the movie is, for all its faults, still just an honest attempt to retell a great story, and not mainly a propaganda-filled hatefest. It faithfully follows the battle scenes---at least those not involving the Black Smoke---and shows the human soldiers occasionally killing as well as being killed. The technically-flawed "Thunder Child" segment even shows the refugee civilians cheering the battleship on during the battle and mourning as she goes down. Manure-for-brains Spielburg would probably have them sniff disdainfully and say"Who asked THEM to get involved?"

Since most of you guys are Brits, you might find my strong opinions a bit much. Put it down to sheer frustration. The liberal media over here has been in a state of open rebellion ever since 9/11. On that day itself, they spent a lot of time criticizing Bush for going into hiding at a secure spot to run the country from until everyone was sure Washington was safe again, as if they wanted the terrorists to zero in and kill him (I'm sure they did). They never report American heroism or victories, only American casualties, traitors, and accusations of warcrimes, and we have to put up with this crap every day of our lives, whenever we open the morning paper or turn on the TV news. So when I see Hines' film, which is as Anglo-centered as the original novel, I wonder "What are YOU complaining about?" At least one of the parts of the book Hines left out was Wells' criticism of British imperialism. End of rant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
Just get on the section where you can flip on to individual scenes in the movie. Now go to section---9-12, I believe it is---to the time when the fleeing family pulls over so Dakota Fanning can have a bathroom break and the troop convoy comes rumbling by. There is a picture of the troop convoy, and the heading under it says it all: "Worst of Man".
I have just done as you suggested, it is chapter 11. the opening scene is of the soldiers rolling by in trucks , so naturally the scene selection picture is going to be the same, then the family drive on and run into a crowd of refugees who try to steal their car, these are the 'Worst Of Man' not the soldiers, The family then escape and go into the diner, which is the beginning of chapter 12.
You seam so desperate to condemn Spielberg that you ignore the rest of the chapter.

Alland wrote:
By no stretch of the imagination was H.G. Wells a militarist, much less an imperialist, yet even he never showed such psychotic hatred for the military when it was engaged in the defense of its own homeland,

You are right there, H. G. was also a warmonger, When WW1 was declared he practically danced in the streets with joy, then he was sent to the front line and saw thousands of men die to claim a few hundred yards of muddy ground and suddenly all the fun went out of it, He repented his words.
WAR IS NOT A GAME, PEOPLE DIE. SO BEFORE YOU GO CHARGING INTO BATTLE IT'S IMPORTANT TO CONSIDER THE CONSEQUENCES, FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR ARMCHAIR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:26 pm 
Tripod King

One easy reply to your defense of Spielburg: If he intended the rioters to be the "Worst of Man" and not the soldiers, then why didn't the still from the film segment SHOW the rioters instead of the soldiers?

It's easy to go around condemning war, and World War I's an easy war to condemn, but what about World War II, or for that matter, that little ruckus back in 1588 when the Spanish Armada barged into the English Channel? It's different when its YOUR neck at stake, isn't it? You ought to read a little more Kipling instead of Wells:

Makin' mock o uniforms that guard you while you sleep,
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.

We didn't "charge into" either Iraq or Afghanistan until after WE were attacked first on 9/11, a fact everybody keeps forgetting. (It doesn't help that the liberal media never shows footage of 9/11, while constantly repeating every lie about alleged US atrocities to keep the Moslem world fired up against us.) I live in west-central Pennsylvania, where Islamic crackpots almost dropped an airliner on my head while fighting with the passengers. (TV crews from our local stations were among the first at the crash site, so the crash of that plane came too close for comfort.) End of clarification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:25 pm 

Alland wrote:
One easy reply to your defense of Spielburg: If he intended the rioters to be the "Worst of Man" and not the soldiers, then why didn't the still from the film segment SHOW the rioters instead of the soldiers?

Because the Soldiers are in the first scene of the the chapter, so when someone is browsing through the menu they'll see the clip and know where that chapter begins. It's more or less standard DVD practice.

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:50 pm 
Martian War Lord

Paramount War of the Worlds DVD Scene Selection
Chapter 1
Earth Under Man; the little picture shows microscopic life-forms but if the pictures must represent the title beneath, they must be either pictures of the Earth or pictures of Man
Chapter 2
Eve of the War; the little picture shows Ray Ferrier (Tom Cruise) climbing out of a car, is he called Eve? or is the car called Eve?
Chapter 3
Coming of the Invaders; the little picture shows Ray Ferrier's son, I know his and his sisters arrival came as a bit of a surprise to Ray but would you call it an Invasion?
Chapter 4
In The Storm; Hey what do you know, there is a storm in the little picture, Well that must prove you right.
Chapter 5
The Machine Emerges; the little picture shows a truck engine, well I suppose you could call it a machine but it's not really emerging is it? it's just lying there not working.
Chapter 6
Heat-Ray; it looks like your right again there is a picture of Ray, he may be heated I don't know, it's difficult to tell.
Should I go on or do you get the picture?, The point I am making is you can twist anything around to mean whatever you want it to mean but as Sigmund Freud once said "Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar"
Alland wrote:
You ought to read a little more Kipling instead of Wells:

I have read Kipling thanks, although I am not familiar with his poems. I do know he was sickened by the atrocities committed by the Brits in India and he wrote about them in his second volume of Plain Tales from the Hills' a book our government tried and failed to suppress.
There's also a nice little story called 'The Man Who Would Be King' about two ex-soldiers who decide to make themselves kings of a little backward country called Kafiristan, just because they had the power to do so, they impose their beliefs, their politics and their laws upon the ignorant people who treat them as Gods. every thing goes alright until the friends fall out and the natives see through their tricks, then one is thrown from a cliff and the other is chased back over the mountains and lives the rest of his life as a demented, broken man. This was as you probably guessed Kipling having a go at Britain for interfering with lesser cultures and the probable consequences of that interference, Britain did it a century ago and now America is doing the same, like having a tiger by it's tail, eventually the Tiger will turn and bite you. Our Governments will do what ever is necessary to keep the oil flowing our way, they'll lie to us, tell us stories about weapons of mass destruction. finance one nation over another, not because it's the right thing to do but because this Nation will sell it's Oil cheaper than the other Nation, And talking about Tigers by the tail, that brings me nicely to another of Kipling story, from his 'Jungle Book' Collection, it's called 'The King's Ankus' it's about a bejewelled Elephant goad, it's stolen from the long forgotten treasury of a long dead King, Mowgli follows the progress of the treasure through the jungle by following the bodies it leaves behind as Men lie, cheat and kills one another to posses the Ankus. Mowgli believes the Ankus must be evil because he doesn't understand Human greed and can't see why a mere thing can be worth so many lives. Nor can I, and if that makes me a Bleeding Hearts Liberal, so be it,

Alland wrote:
We didn't "charge into" either Iraq or Afghanistan until after WE were attacked first on 9/11,

It must have been someone else who did the charging then, because when Iraq attacked Kuwait I thought it was the USA and the UK amongst others. but we only did it to protect those poor innocent people didn't we?? Yeah Right, and because Kuwait was selling us oil and Iraq wasn't and WE didn't want Iraq getting hold of those oil-fields did we? but it was a different story a few years earlier when it was Iran against Iraq, that nice Mr Hussein was happy to sell us oil then just so long as the west helped finance his little war, and guess what? we did.
Anyway this is a WOTW site not a political arena and this discussion could go on forever and get nowhere so this is my last comment on the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 5 posts ]