View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 1 post ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:47 am 
Martian War Lord

FROM : <a href='http://www.latinoreview.com/films_2005/paramount/wotw/setvisit.html' target='_blank'>www.latinoreview.com</a><br /><br />It was day 58 out of a 72 day shoot that I trekked up to Newhall, CA about 20 minutes north of Los Angeles. From there, I along with other journalists were bussed to the set location in the small town of Piru. About a thirty minute drive west of Newhall in the middle of nowhere. It was a town that looked as if it was originally built to shelter most of Los Angeles should an attack ever occur.<br /><br />Upon arrival we all gathered into a small bed & breakfast called Rancho Temescal which was just across the street from where shooting was taking place. If you were to open up an issue of Country Living magazine, I'm pretty sure this place would be featured somewhere within its pages. After gorging myself on cheese squares and unknown crackers with corn on them, we then walked over to the set which was enormous and built to look like Athens, New York. A small sign that read Winter Athens Hudson Ferry, giant lights everywhere, green hills lit up in the background, two huge cranes that would later come into play, mounds and mounds of fog filling the air, an overturned car, small shops and a built gas station would complete the atmosphere for the scenes being shot in this three to four day shoot. They did such a remarkable job, it was difficult to tell where Piru's small shops ended and the set's fake buildings began. You could really tell how Spielberg wanted to make sure that no detail was spared.<br /><br />The scene being shot tonight involved some of the 700 or so extras that were wandering around. All of them dressed like they had thrown together whatever warm clothes they could find. Most of them were carrying luggage and umbrellas, with some holding signs that had their loved ones names written on them. Kids, dogs, men and women of all ages and races were getting ready for the director to yell "Action!" The cranes I had mentioned earlier were brought to life as walls of rain came pouring out of the attached sprinklers drenching everyone below. Once the camera started rolling, the extras were in the middle of the street, holding umbrellas and lanterns while grabbing onto and shaking a blue Plymouth Caravan that was being driven into town by Tom Cruise with Dakota Fanning in the backseat...<br /><br />CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINK FOR THE FULL REPORT<br /><br /><br /><br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 1 post ]