Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Best Ullas?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:48 pm 

Hello all, I saw this film on release day after years of anticipation and I have to get this off my chest. As the ground began to crack and the incredible use of sounds and vibrations started I got really excited at a first appearence of Speilbergs fighting machines. The whole scene from the moment the car was spat from the collapsed road and the three feet appeared with a sound of a machine whirring into life kinda like when you start a record on a turntable from standby I was transfixed. As this thing rose up slowly and Williams stunning score started it was pure amazement , then at full heght as the shocked onlookers stand dumbfounded and fascinated it lets off the most incredibly loud warped siren that sounds so utterly alien. At first I had difficulty comparing this to the obvious sound the written word ULLA makes in speech, but sod it. What a sound, whatever my hang ups of the film (which there are many) I find the portrayal of the invading tripods absolutely stunning, yes they differed slightly from the exact description in Wells epic but they were so gracefull and I think captured the whole fact that a few times Wells had to question in the novel if they had a Martian in them at all or were a totally independantly operating life form.

What do you good people think?

By the way seeing as this is my first topic I must say in introduction that Pendargons film is so utterly useless and pathetic it amazes me that even was finished, Asylums is hilarious aweful effects and did I balls up or was the Aussie curate chap also the guy he meets after finding the dying Martian, roll on Jeff Waynes CG number and Jeff, Can we have the sirens for the ullas pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaassssssssseeee lol!

Laters

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yo Xeno. I agree with you on this. The phonics in the movie are outstanding. I think it really works for the Tripod to emmit that blood curdling sound. Maybe Ulla would sound to human.
I also think that sounds works well, when the tripods appear on the hill as the Ferry boat prepares for sail.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 pm 
Tripod King

In the interest of getting a discussion going, permit me to nitpick. Given the way "ulla" is spelled, I always thought it should be pronounced with the "u" like that in "dull", rather than sounding like a pair of "o"s. After all, the only other vowel in the word is not silent, so this runs contrary to what I was taught in school. The way everyone pronounces it makes me think it should be spelled "oola", like Alley Oop's girlfriend (for those of you who follow American newspaper comics).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 pm 
Martian War Lord

Hi 'xeno' and welcome to the forum :D
I also Thought that sequence in the film was amazing, I was sat in the cinema and suddenly realised I had my mouth open, that was OK because everyone else had theirs open as well :lol:

Wells was never over elaborate with his description of the Tripods, which is why there are so many variations in design, actually Wells' description of the FMs walking would look ludicrous on film.

Yes Alland "ulla" may be spelt with a soft 'U' but Wells only used "ulla" when the Martians were dying all other times they cried "Aloo! Aloo!" and Well described it as sounding like a factory siren. and "ulla" with a soft 'U' doesn't sound right.
Plus most people today take their idea of the "ulla" Siren from Jeff Wayne's musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:00 pm 

Thanks for the welcome guys, wouldve joined this site years ago if Idve known of it, I like yous is a certified War of the Worlds anorak. I got next week off and Im gonna have a little pilgrmage to Horsell Common and basque in the eerie ambience.

I often thought of the comparison of the fighting machine to Wells descriptions also, I mean obviously the shield is inconsistant but also the movement, Wells explained when he first sighted these machines that they looked like a farmers milking stool kicked across a room and his descriptions made the machines sound quite rigid, also he described puffs of smoke from key joints as it walked but spielbergs seem to glide across the Earth, I watched the special features and it would seem as tho they modelled the machines on the gracefull movements of that of Giraffes, well that was a master stroke.

Even tho the cat who posted the topic on the Pendragon movie saying it was better that Spielbergs and listing a bunch of preposterous reasons I agree with him in the sense that I did think we could of seen more of the machines in action or just going about there business would of been nice, there was nothing in the slightest regarding the black smoke and distribution methods. In Wells book the Martians were methodical and totally driven toward their goal of colonisation and such incredibly intriguing methods to get them there, remember the facsinating scenes Wells described from the crack in the ruined house as the Martians went about their business but in Speilbergs movie we had none of that. I think his primary mistake was spending too much attention on the disfunctional wayward Dad and his kids rather than the real interesting charactors, THE INVADERS....... Do you Dig?

"It,ll be dark soon and they mostly come at night........MOSTLY!!!!"

"These pathetic earthlings are less intelligent than our own planets vegetation"

LORD SAVE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:41 pm 
Martian War Lord

I too would have like to see more of the invaders going about their business but I still think it's a fantastic movie. Myu big nitpick is the writings on the tripod casings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:02 am 
Martian War Lord

I get what you're saying but if you read the book again the Martians don't appear that much in the story, about 90% of the book is taken up with the Human characters. I think there are only about five or six scenes in the book that feature the FMs, the rest of the story is about mans struggle to survive. The scene Wells described from the crack in the ruined house does show us the Martians preparations more than anywhere else in the book but the thing most people remember about that scene is the writer's struggle with the insane Curate.

Primarily 'The War of the Worlds' is a Horror story, I don't think Pendragon achieved that [-( , Spielberg did :a103: =D> .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:06 am 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
My big nitpick is the writings on the tripod casings.

You mean the spelling mistake? yes I noticed that too [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:44 am 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
I get what you're saying but if you read the book again the Martians don't appear that much in the story, about 90% of the book is taken up with the Human characters. I think there are only about five or six scenes in the book that feature the FMs, the rest of the story is about mans struggle to survive. The scene Wells described from the crack in the ruined house does show us the Martians preparations more than anywhere else in the book but the thing most people remember about that scene is the writer's struggle with the insane Curate.

Primarily 'The War of the Worlds' is a Horror story, I don't think Pendragon achieved that [-( , Spielberg did :a103: =D> .

For me the big thing I took out of the window scene and the prologue stuff is the descriptions of the Martians and their business. I know it's not much but I used to carry a photo copy of those bits around with me in my pocket so I could read it out to people I'd just met.

I would have liked to have seen something simmilar in the movie. I know we saw the aliens creeping around in the basement. But they were to human, and not very scary. I was hoping for the big brains working the handling machines and stuff.

However it is still a great movie that I have watched several times.

I'll never look at Pendragons again. they even do the bit I'm talking about and it's ridiculous. Even the overdubbed spoof is boring second time round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:30 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
I used to carry a photo copy of those bits around with me in my pocket so I could read it out to people I'd just met.

:lol: I bet you got invited to all the best parties :a037:
The overdubbed spoof version is the only copy of Pendragon's I have seen or want to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
:lol: I bet you got invited to all the best parties :a037: .

I put all of my passion into those readings. Some people wept and actually had to leave the room they were so moved by my performance. In fact on many occassions, so moved were the audience that everyone had to go home before I could finish! :a010:
Lonesome Crow wrote:
The overdubbed spoof version is the only copy of Pendragon's I have seen or want to see.
Even that is hard to view more than once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:43 am 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
I put all of my passion into those readings. Some people wept and actually had to leave the room they were so moved by my performance. In fact on many occasions, so moved were the audience that everyone had to go home before I could finish! :a010:

Yes, people were so moved they forgot to come back or leave a forwarding address. I get that a lot as well :-k

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ]