View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:57 pm 
Martian War Lord

FROM : <a href='http://www.moviexclusive.com/review/WAR/war.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.moviexclusive.com/review/WAR/war.htm</a><br /><br /><br />Don't miss the "War Of The Worlds" Superbowl TV spot on Channel 5 after American Idols at 9.25pm on 9 February 2005!<br /><br /><br />Image<br /><br /><br /><br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:23 pm 
Tripod King

i finally saw the tv spot today. People accused the Pendragon teasers of looking unprofessional, however this is no better than either Pendragon teaser. A bridge falls over for no apparent reason. so what?<br /><br />the photo suggests an equivalent scene for hiding in the wrecked house, except presumeably with a hysterical Dakota Fanning rather than a hysterical Curate (I wonder if Cruise will kill her with a swift club to the head :D) so obviously Speilberg breifly woke up to the fact that it supposed to be War Of The Worlds he's telling the story of. However that shot looks to have more to do with Signs than WOTW. (Signs was incidently a great film)<br /><br />just another little thing im confused over, Tim Robbins plays Ogilvy the astronomer, I assume that Cruise will be meeting up with him at some stage and being present to witness the cylinder opening and Ogilvys subsequent death etc (i know, its all very close to the book and thus a dangerous assumption where this film is concerned) but how exactly would Ogilvy the astronomer know Cruise the amateur mechanic?

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:20 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 8 2005, 05:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 8 2005, 05:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i finally saw the tv spot today.  People accused the Pendragon teasers of looking unprofessional, however this is no better than either Pendragon teaser.  A bridge falls over for no apparent reason. so what?<br /><br />the photo suggests an equivalent scene for hiding in the wrecked house, except presumeably with a hysterical Dakota Fanning rather than a hysterical Curate (I wonder if Cruise will kill her with a swift club to the head :D) so obviously Speilberg breifly woke up to the fact that it supposed to be War Of The Worlds he's telling the story of.  However that shot looks to have more to do with Signs than WOTW.  (Signs was incidently a great film)<br /><br />just another little thing im confused over, Tim Robbins plays Ogilvy the astronomer, I assume that Cruise will be meeting up with him at some stage and being present to witness the cylinder opening and Ogilvys subsequent death etc (i know, its all very close to the book and thus a dangerous assumption where this film is concerned) but how exactly would Ogilvy the astronomer know Cruise the amateur mechanic?<br />[right][snapback]644[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, the bridge effect was definitely better than anything in the Pendragon trailers, but you're right, the trailer itself wasn't very professional looking. I would imagine anyone not familiar with the story would be very confused as to what was going on. There was just no context to it; some ethereal voice says "Tell me what you saw," Cruise & family evidently steal a van, then the bridge starts blowing up. I realize they had to make it short since Super Bowl spots are just 30 sec. each, but I still feel they could have done quite a bit better. Hopefully the one coming out on the 10th will be more in-depth.<br /><br />I haven't heard how they are working Ogilvy into this story. Seems unlikely that an astronomer would live in the same neighborhood that Cruise's family is in. Maybe the characters don't know each other at all and Robbins' scenes are completely seperate from the main characters. Like most of the other plot details, they're keeping it under wraps for now.<br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:12 am 
Tripod King

keeping Ogilvy away from the rest of the cast (i suppose being an expert on CNN or something) strikes me as a bad move, Ogilvy is part of the reason that the narrator in the book feels so secure in the face of the alien arrival because of Ogilvy's personal reassurances. its not like Cruise can be shocked by the power of the invaders if he's terrified from the moment bits of Mars look a bit greenish

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ]