View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: What you got?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:27 pm 
Martian War Lord

So what War Of The Worlds comics has everyone got?

I have a few, will post them up later....

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:20 pm 
Martian War Lord

I got the Superman one and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2.

that's it.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:19 am 
Martian War Lord

I've got some of the Eternity comics version of WOTW and I've got some of the sherlock holmes ones. I'll have to check which ones are missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 pm 
Martian War Lord

I don't have any comics in my WOTW Collection, but I would like to have them.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:39 am 

I mentioned some of this in my intro posts when I first joined the forum, but here goes:

Classics Illustrated 124. The old classic that introduced me to the original story (I'd seen the 1953 movie first). I actually have two copies, and one of those has two covers thanks to a bindery slip-up, so the 'inner' cover is in verrrrry good condition! \:D/

Marvel Classics. I didn't appreciate having this until about five years after I'd gotten it; in the intervening time, I'd read the HG Wells book, so when I re-read this comic version, I was fairly impressed by it.

Pocket Classics. I'd first seen this in elemetary school in the 1970's, but got my own copy sometime in the 80's just for nostalgia. Because, like, ten years was such a long time past... :-s

Acclaim Books re-release of Classics Illustrated. Nice reprint with colour corrections (more consistent throughout), plus some essays about the original book & Wells. Good for school projects, I suppose, but I could see younger kids just copying the essay & trying to pass it off as their own book report.

Dark Horse WotW (Edington/D'Israeli). What the heck, I collect comic adaptations of WotW. Just had to have this one, though sometimes the 'cartooniness' of some of the characters is a bit hard for me to accept.

Dark Horse Scarlet Traces: The Great Game. What? I have The Great Game, but not the original Scarlet Traces? That's right, and it's been bugging me for some time now. :x I can't seem to find Scarlet Traces anywhere. Sigh. But The Great Game was very entertaining, and I thought the artwork was even better than the DH WotW adaptation. All in all, I like the Edington/D'Israeli set, and can't wait to finally complete it.

Little Book of Horror WotW (Niles/McKeever). More of my completist tendencies coming to the fore. This is like a very condensed 'Reader's Digest Condensed Book,' only with lots of stylised illustration.

Best Sellers Illustrated WotW (Stern/Starr). Interesting update of the story, though a bit rushed in some places. Love the cover illustration by Frank Brunner.

Caliber Comics. Another update, this one set in and around modern Kansas City. I have all five issues, and I think worked pretty well overall. Wish the sequel, Memphis Front, had been completed. I have none of that.

Boom! Studios WotW Second Wave. I'm still missing issue 2, but I like this mini-series. Interesting that it went from colour to black-and-white washes to black-and-white line art to nothing at all. (All things come to an end, eh?) I'd seen this series described as feeling like a side story to the 2005 Spielberg WotW film, and it does sort of have that feel.

I used to have some of the Eternity comics from the late 80's/early 90's (or whenever that was), but I believe I gave those away several years ago.

That's it for my collection.

Edited to add: There's a cool online comic that's something to crow about, retelling the WotW book from the Martian point-of-view. Maybe you've seen it? :wink: :D
Seriously, though, I consider Lonesome Crow's The Invasion of Earth to be a quality piece of work that easily deserves to be included in this list. If a printed version ever comes out, I'll buy it in a heartbeat to add it to my collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

:a103: Wow! do you have an address for this 'The Invasion of Earth'?
Thanks for that nice little edit :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:19 pm 

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:27 am 
Martian War Lord

There's Doctor Who one as well. With the 4th Doctor. Published by Marvel. It's on the net somewhere.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:37 am 

That's the Marvel Classics one I mentioned, but mine's Doctor-less, and in colour. (I hadn't known about the Doctor Who version til I found out about it elsewhere on this forum!)

Insert witty, yet philosophical remark here...

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ]