View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:52 pm 
Advanced Member

How does War of the Worlds compare to the various other TV shows about alien invasions that came before and after it? And what series belonging to this particular sub-genre do members of this forum consider as being the best of it's kind?<br /><br />Here's a rundown of the contenders;<br />The Invaders: Sixties show that ran for two seasons. Everyman hero David Vincent (played by Roy Thinnes) stumbled across an alien landing site and tried desperately to convince an unbelieving mankind that They were among us.<br />UFO: the first live action series made by Gerry Anderson, this Seventies effort told the story of S.H.A.D.O. (one of Anderson's standard top secret military/intelligence organisations) as they covertly battled against alien organ-snatchers (I also considered adding Anderson's Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons and Terrahawks to this poll).<br />Project UFO: late Seventies series that ran for two years. It concentrated on U.S. Air Force officers, assigned to Project Blue Book, investigating UFO sightings. Not strictly an 'alien invasion' show, but I thought it deserved a place here.<br />Something is Out There: late Eighties show that was a spin off from a successful mini-series, but which only lasted eight episodes. Stranded on Earth, a female humanoid alien befriended a LA detective and helped him tackle strange & unusual crimes, including two separate alien menaces sizing up Earth for potential invasion.<br />War of the Worlds: needs no introduction.<br />The X Files: again, not strictly an 'alien invasion' show, as approximately half the episodes dealt with unrelated supernatural mysteries, but the ongoing - and incredibly confusing - subplots and story arcs about greys, black oil, and government conspiracies are what it's best remembered for.<br />Dark Skies: the planned five year storyline for this U.S. series intended to reveal that most of the major world events of the last fifty years were either deliberately or indirectly caused by hostile aliens. Sadly, poor ratings lead to cancellation after a single season.<br />First Wave: this recent American effort was practically an unofficial remake of The Invaders, with elements of The X Files thrown in. Still engaging though.<br />Codename: Eternity: little seen international co-production which failed to find many buyers and so only one season's worth of episodes was produced. An alien soldier is sent to Earth to track down a member of his race who has set up a vast business empire on this planet, and is planning to take over the world.<br /><br />There are also various UK shows from the Fifties and Sixties - such as The Big Pull, Overmind and Counterstrike, that I haven't included on the grounds that they're too obscure. I've also left out the more recent British efforts Invasion Earth and The Uninvited because they were selfcontained mini-series.<br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

What about Kinvig? Bet yer don't rember that one?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 pm 

Ive only seen one, and that is barely; the X-files (who havent?)

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:11 pm 
Advanced Member

Loz wrote:
What about Kinvig? Bet yer don't remember that one?

ITV sitcom that lasted one series, and was written by Quatermass creator Nigel Keane. Was about a UFO enthusiast (the title character) who imagines that he's been chosen by aliens to play an extremely important role in an intergalactic war. He fantasized that the female co-worker he had a crush on (played by Pamela Salem, if my memory serves me correctly) was actually a gorgeous alien princess.

Does anyone remember the Channel 4 series They Came From Somewhere Else?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:21 pm 
Martian War Lord

Fenris wrote:
ITV sitcom that lasted one series, and was written by Quatermass creator Nigel Keane. Was about a UFO enthusiast (the title character) who imagines that he's been chosen by aliens to play an extremely important role in an intergalactic war. He fantasized that the female co-worker he had a crush on (played by Pamela Salem, if my memory serves me correctly) was actually a gorgeous alien princess. Does anyone remember the Channel 4 series They Came From Somewhere Else?

Impressive, most impressive but you are not a Television Sci Fi annorack yet! As for your question - Cast List Robin Driscoll as The Stranger Tony Haase as Martin Pete Mccarthy as Colin Rebecca Stevens as Wendy Paddy Fletcher as The "They're Coming" Man Hilda Braid as Mrs Maynard Tamsin Heatley as Shauna Peter Leabourne as Anthony David Gale as Sergeant Patti Bee as Professor Ella Wilder as WPC Julie Production Details Written by: Robin Driscoll, Tony Haase, Pete McCarthy, Rebecca Stevens Directed by: Jim Hill Produced by: John Dale 1 series, 6 episodes Transmitted: 1984 TV Channel: Channel 4 Channel 4 TVS You mean that series?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:14 pm 
Advanced Member

Loz wrote:
You mean that series?

That's the one. My favourite part was 'The Day It Rained Liver'.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:45 pm 

Don't forget "V".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:48 am 

BigPapiChulo wrote:
Don't forget "V".

Damn, I knew I'd forget something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:45 pm 

Dunno if it has been posted but here are the covers to the series DVD's
and there are more photo's here http://www.waroftheworldsmovies.info/photogallery/thumbnails.php?album=28 :shock: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:14 am 
Martian War Lord

Thanks Mike and welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

Nice pics, Mike, and welcome. :D

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ]