Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: $18 million theatrical "TWOTW" show
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:32 pm 
Tripod King

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111792 ... =1&s=h&p=0

Thanks to Anthony for the heads up

China's 'War' efforts - Wayne on top of 'World'

By PHIL GALLO

Jeff Wayne Music Group is partnering with China's M-Star Intl. for a 'War of the Worlds' theaterical production.
Wayne

Twenty-seven years after Jeff Wayne's "Musical Version of 'The War of the Worlds' " was first released, Jeff Wayne Music Group has sealed a deal with China's M-Star Intl. Culture & Media Co. to finance and co-produce an $18 million theatrical "TWOTW" show.
It is expected to open in China for the Chinese New Year 2007, in advance of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, and then embark on a world tour.

The deal also includes a 26-part animated TV series based on Wayne's musical version of "TWOTW."

"The large-scale show is somewhere between a rock concert and very large-scale theater," Wayne said, noting that the plan is to have five Martian fighting machines as tall as 30 feet, a handling and flying machine, the Thunder Child frigate and a number of other special effects. The show will follow the album and additionally include a prequel that shows Mars suffering from severe ecological problems that force the Martians to leave the planet. Richard Burton's original performance will be brought back to life in holographic form.

More in the works

The show is just one of a multitude of projects tied to Wayne's musical version of "TWOTW," which Sony BMG (Sony Legacy in the U.S.) re-launched worldwide in June. The album is enjoying its 10th week back in the U.K. top-10 album charts -- selling more than Oasis and Gorillaz -- bringing its overall tally to more than 290 weeks.

Album has now sold more than 13 million records worldwide as well as topping the charts in several other countries. It went gold in the U.S. on its initial release and has spawned a vast range of merchandise, including three videogames (including for the PC and PlayStation formats).

Additionally, Clear Channel Entertainment and SJM have just inked a concert tour in the U.K. beginning in April 2006 in which Wayne will conduct the work with a symphonic string orchestra and solo vocalists. Venues include London's Royal Albert Hall as well as various arenas around the U.K. Marketing the tour will begin in mid-September with sponsors also to be announced.

Dark Horse Entertainment

Dark Horse Entertainment, which recently unveiled at Comic-Con a line of limited-edition statues based on the album artwork, is partnering on a comicbook with Wayne and music group managing director Damian Collier.

Dark Horse also is expected to assist on Wayne's forthcoming CGI film, which 16 U.K. animators have been working on since October. Wayne estimated that it will be three years before it is ready; it's timed to be released approximately 18 months after the airing of the first episode of its TV series.

In the mid-1970s, Wayne and his father Jerry acquired from H.G. Wells' estate all rights associated with "The War of the Worlds" (other than the right to reprint the novel, which remained with the estate, and the film rights, which were bought by Paramount in 1953).

'Worlds' trade

Last year, Collier and Paramount made an amicable swap -- the studio received a license for the non-exclusive right to merchandise its 2005 feature and make a soundtrack album, and Wayne received a free license to develop a film and TV series based on his musical version. Wayne's version of "TWOTW" has always been set in late-1890s Victorian England, keeping true to Wells' storyline and characters.

The background to the new relaunch is that two Sony BMG London execs approached Wayne in late 2002 to help prepare a 25th-anniversary edition of "The War of the Worlds," but once the ideas were kicked around the projects grew, including remixes in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. "We over-ran by a mere two years, creating perhaps the first 27th-anniversary edition in the history of the record industry," Wayne joked.

One of the new projects includes a collector's edition of Wayne's musical version of "TWOTW," which includes six CDs, a making-of DVD and an 80-page hardbacked book in an LP-sized package. Included in the book is a letter from Steven SpielbergSteven Spielberg, dated Nov. 23, 1979, stating that the album would "make a unique and visionary film" but that he was too busy to consider it.

Date in print: Mon., Aug. 22, 2005, Los Angeles

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thanks HC. Just putting on the site now.... :D

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:33 pm 
Tripod King

wow.....thisll be interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:16 am 
Martian War Lord

It sure is! :D =D> :D 8)

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:10 pm 

Quote:
Wayne said, noting that the plan is to have five Martian fighting machines as tall as 30 feet, a handling and flying machine, the Thunder Child frigate and a number of other special effects.

Sweet.... 30Ft tall MFM.... :D

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

For a nasty moment then, I thought we were going to get a 26-part animated TV series, rather than a film :a010: but we're getting both \:D/

Cheers H_C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:41 pm 
Tripod King

I particularly like the part about "resurrecting" Richard Burton via high technology. In my opinion, modern actors have nothing like the talent of the older generations. Once computer generation and the like is perfected, we'll never have to hire actors again, just recreate old ones and put their holograms or whatever on the screen.

Imagine a computer database covering every movie and TV entertainer, with both his/her appearance and the movies and shows they appeared in. The computer would watch every film, TV show, etc., and memorize not merely appearance and voice, but mannerisms, personal idiosyncracies, and the like. With that kind of information, when putting the hologram in a new movie, the computer would be able to more or less accurately predict how the original entertainer would have performed in that film.

Leaving out new movies and TV shows, think of the potential for redoing old ones! You could have the computer make over any old film available, replacing one or more members of the cast with different performers. As an historical "What if?", for example, future president Ronald Reagan almost got Humphrey Bogart's role in "Casablanca". Read up on film history, and you'll find a long line of candidates for this sort of thing.

Think of the customized (for individuals) market alone! For a fee, any customer could come to you and say which movie or TV show he wants redone, and who he wants replaced, and with whom. Ever wonder how Clark Gable would do playing James Bond? Or kick Tom Hanks out of "Saving Private Ryan" and put someone like John Wayne in. Or take any modern horror movie with a human villain and replace the actor in that role with someone like Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, or Boris Karloff.

Any fans of 1950s sci fi and the people who starred in it? What about putting them in later films? My personal ideal is to put the lot of them in a 1950s version of "Independance Day", with the following changes:

Jeff Goldblum-John Agar
Will Smith-Kenneth Tobey
Bill Pullman-Gene Barry
Robert Loggia-Les Tremayne
Mary McDonnell-Ann Robinson
Margaret Colin-Mara Corday
the stripper (can't remember her name)-Faith Domergue
Randy Quaid-Richard Denning
Adam Baldwin-Dennis Hopper
James Rebhorn-Donald Curtis
Brent Spinner-Robert Cornthwaite (as he appeared in "The Thing")
El Toro commander-Morris Ankrum

What do you think? This sort of thing could be the wave of the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:35 pm 
Tripod King

I don't like this idea of a 26 part series - I mean what is the whole point. Having a series released some 18 months BEFORE the film will take the shine off the film. Bad move Jeff, bad move indeed. I want to see a full blown film, not see a series to then watch the scenes all over again in a film version. I have waited some 28 years for a film NOT a series.

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Is it broadcasted all over the world or only in China? After all, Jeff has also work with the CGI movie.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
Imagine a computer database covering every movie and TV entertainer, with both his/her appearance and the movies and shows they appeared in. The computer would watch every film, TV show, etc., and memorize not merely appearance and voice, but mannerisms, personal idiosyncracies, and the like.

It's a great Idea =D>
Horsell_Common wrote:
I don't like this idea of a 26 part series

I wonder what sort of quality animation they are talking about, is it comic book or CGI style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

I doubt its CGI. He's already working on a movie in CGI! Making a serial too in CGI would be double work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:21 pm 
Martian War Lord

There are a lot of CGI cartoons out there already, such as Tripping the Rift and Father of the Pride. there's no reason why this one can't be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:22 pm 
Martian War Lord

You've got a point, but I prefer the hand-drawn cartoons instead of CGI. This movie of CGI is to only CGI that excites me so much, it almost drives me crazy! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:43 pm 
Martian War Lord

What do you mean almost, You are crazy! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:25 am 
Martian War Lord

I'm not! If you still think so, try and give me some evidence! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:27 pm 
Martian War Lord

:roll: Too many to mention :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:08 pm 
Martian War Lord

Sounds you're nuts about it! :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:56 am 
Martian War Lord

I think a tV series could be fantastic.

What I don't understand is how they will be different to each other. How they will both be valid. But of course they will. I just don't get it, because nobody has explained it.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:03 am 
Martian War Lord

You will just have to be patient. every thing comes to those who wait.

just as long as I get mine now!! :a093:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:24 am 
Martian War Lord

Then it won't come to you, just look at what you said. You tell others to be patient, while you are impatient. That is not right to me! [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:02 pm 
Martian War Lord

oever532 wrote:
Then it won't come to you, just look at what you said. You tell others to be patient, while you are impatient. That is not right to me! [-(

:roll: I know, it was meant to be funny :roll: it obviously doesn't translate very well. :a009:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

I was kidding around. I give somehow a response that doesn't seem like you intended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:30 pm 
Martian War Lord

But that just sounds like you don't understand :a009:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:31 pm 
Martian War Lord

That can be possible too... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:58 am 
Martian War Lord

You guys... Tsk Tsk!

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next