Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Thunder Child Vs Fighting Machine Diorama Model Coming Soon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:42 am 
Tripod King

EXCELLENT NEWS JUST IN

I have received an email today (3rd Aug) from Tony James who owns Comet Miniatures Models. This is really exciting news for the fans of The War Of The Worlds. Released in time for Chritsmas, Tony will have for us a superb 'diorama' of the battle between the 'H.M.S Thunder Child' and the mighty Fighting Machine as seen on the album cover too Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds. The finished diorama will not be the same as what is seen advertising the 1/100th scale model of the Fighting Machine on his site as this is Tony's own display model produced some years ago, but I guess it gives a good example of what it will look like.

Also, the Martian Collecting Machine has been moved from its original release date of September to a new date of October.

Dear Jonathan

War of the World's

Pending licence agreement we will be issuing a modified version of our old Martian Collecting Machine model in early October.

There will also be a new kit producing a diorama of the clash between the 'Thunderchild' and the Martian Fighting Machine.

We will have an example of this on display at the IPMS Show in Telford on the weekend of 19th-20th November.

Tony James

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Last edited by Horsell_Common on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:29 pm 
Martian War Lord

YOWZA! I can't wait to watch the models!

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:38 pm 
Tripod King

I don't suppose they mentioned what ship type the "Thunder Child" model is based on, did they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:12 am 
Martian War Lord

I don't think so. It's possible to model it after an exact torpedo ram ship...

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:21 am 
Tripod King

oever532 wrote:
I don't think so. It's possible to model it after an exact torpedo ram ship...

Yes, and no...

I go into great detail on the subject here, if you can be arsed :D :

http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cgi?board=book&action=display&thread=1122236064

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30 am 
Martian War Lord

I nicked this bit for Alland to look at , because this answers his question -

The Mike Trim 'Thunder Child' vessel, was based on the 'Canapus' class as he describes in the Q&A below.

Q: Was the Battleship `Thunder Child’ based on any real ship, or was it your own design?

A: She was largely based on one of the Royal Navy’s Canopus class, pre-Dreadnought vessels, although there may have been some details grafted on from the later improved Canopus class ships. It is also possible that there were some artistic liberties taken during the execution of the work, but after nearly thirty years, it’s difficult to be certain. I did consider designing her and have done this a number of times before, for book covers. As the story is set in Great Britain and therefore, it would be the navy of that day that would have to deal with the situation. Whilst the ship would have represented the cutting edge of British naval power at the time, I think the actual vessels of that class were all launched shortly after the book was written

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:52 am 
Tripod King

However, Canopus, and all the predreadnoughts, do not conform to Wells's description of Thunder Child as a 'torpedo ram', of which there was only ever one built, HMS Polyphemus. If you follow the link in my previous post, you'll discover why Thunder Child conforms to no real vessel, plus a few guesses as to Wells's motives.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:06 pm 
Tripod King

Thanks, guys. I always figured it to be a Canopus-Class ship. Wells is pretty sloppy with his warship nomenclature, since he refers to the all-steel warships at the turn of the century as "ironclads". I put the "torpedo ram" reference down to similar ignorance and leave it at that.

Ironically, in the Pendragon movie version, the Thunder Child DOES ram a Fighting-Machine to destroy it. I guess Hines looked at the "torpedo ram" line and decided the thing should ram something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:38 am 
Tripod King

Alland wrote:
Thanks, guys. I always figured it to be a Canopus-Class ship. Wells is pretty sloppy with his warship nomenclature, since he refers to the all-steel warships at the turn of the century as "ironclads". I put the "torpedo ram" reference down to similar ignorance and leave it at that.

Ironically, in the Pendragon movie version, the Thunder Child DOES ram a Fighting-Machine to destroy it. I guess Hines looked at the "torpedo ram" line and decided the thing should ram something.

But as you'll see if you read my FAQs, in the late 1890s it was still common to refer to steel battleships as ironclads, even though the Royal Navy had reintroduced the term 'battleship' in the early 1880s.

You're right that Wells' use of a torpedo ram was odd, but there you go.

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ]