View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Wells' Flying Saucer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:44 am 
Tripod King

H.G. Wells may have been even more of a prophet than we give him credit for. Remember the brief descriptions of the Martians' flying machine---round, flat, and broad---? Sound familiar? That's not just any spaceship; it's a literal flying saucer, just as have been constantly reported from 1947 on. And yet WOTW came out just before the turn of the century.

Coincidence? I don't know. I've done a lot of research into the UFO phenomenon, and there HAVE been a few reports of disclike objects seen in the sky, mostly reported to be oddly-behaving meteors and fireballs. The works of researchers like Charles Fort are dotted with such accounts. Jules Verne read of "mystery airship" reports and the like; they were the inspiration for his two "Robur" novels, "Robur the Conqueror" and "Master of the World". Would it be so hard to believe that Wells did the same thing? Any thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: Wells' Flying Saucer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:20 am 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
H.G. Wells may have been even more of a prophet than we give him credit for. Remember the brief descriptions of the Martians' flying machine---round, flat, and broad---? Sound familiar? That's not just any spaceship; it's a literal flying saucer, just as have been constantly reported from 1947 on. And yet WOTW came out just before the turn of the century.

Coincidence? I don't know. I've done a lot of research into the UFO phenomenon, and there HAVE been a few reports of disclike objects seen in the sky, mostly reported to be oddly-behaving meteors and fireballs. The works of researchers like Charles Fort are dotted with such accounts. Jules Verne read of "mystery airship" reports and the like; they were the inspiration for his two "Robur" novels, "Robur the Conqueror" and "Master of the World". Would it be so hard to believe that Wells did the same thing? Any thoughts on this?

Wells does not descripe it as round as the quote from the book below shows.
The sun sank into grey clouds, the sky flushed and darkened, the evening star trembled into sight. It was deep twilight when the captain cried out and pointed. My brother strained his eyes. Something rushed up into the sky out of the greyness — rushed slantingly upward and very swiftly into the luminous clearness above the clouds in the western sky; something flat and broad, and very large, that swept round in a vast curve, grew smaller, sank slowly, and vanished again into the grey mystery of the night. And as it flew it rained down darkness upon the land.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject: Re: Wells' Flying Saucer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:34 pm 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
H.G. Wells may have been even more of a prophet than we give him credit for. Remember the brief descriptions of the Martians' flying machine---round, flat, and broad---? Sound familiar? That's not just any spaceship; it's a literal flying saucer, just as have been constantly reported from 1947 on. And yet WOTW came out just before the turn of the century.?

Here's another quote. From Chaper 8 'Dead London'.
Quote:
A multitude of dogs, I could hear, fought over the bodies that lay darkly in the depth of the pit, far below me. Across the pit on its farther lip, flat and vast and strange, lay the great flying-machine with which they had been experimenting upon our denser atmosphere when decay and death arrested them.
No nothing about round :a009: had it been saucer shaped, I'm sure Wells would have said :-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:39 pm 

Has anyone seen Warwick Globe's original illustration? The Flying Machine is a cross between a box-kite and the Wright Brothers Flyer. Considering the atmosphere on Mars the Martians may have needed a different design than a saucer.

Mind you Wells' descriptions of technology are always vague: the Time Machine for instance, while the Martian's Handling Machine is described as crab-like.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Has anyone seen Warwick Globe's original illustration? The Flying Machine is a cross between a box-kite and the Wright Brothers Flyer. Considering the atmosphere on Mars the Martians may have needed a different design than a saucer.

I found this picture of the flying machine by Warwick Globe, on 'bondle.co.uk' in an article about Maxim's flyer, one of the very early aeroplanes.
'The first flight was conducted in front of many spectators including personal friends invited by Sir Hiram, specifically the Prince of Wales, Rudyard Kipling, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle but most importantly, H G Wells who used Maxim and his flying machine as the basis for his short story "Argonauts of the Air" (1895), the inventor of the flying machine in this story is called 'Monson'. In addition, in 1897, Well's Science Fiction masterpiece "The War of the Worlds" depicts a Martian flying machine which bears uncanny resemblance to Maxim's flyer.'
morrisvan wrote:
Mind you Wells' descriptions of technology are always vague: the Time Machine for instance, while the Martian's Handling Machine is described as crab-like

I think Wells' lack of description is one of the best things, it allows the Artist more freedom :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:35 pm 
Tripod King

Ah, you've unearthed one of my hobbyhorses, Lonesome! Warwick Goble certainly did base his illustration of the Martian flyer on Hiram Maxim's extraordinary flying machine of 1894 (though Wells' description is sufficiently vague as to imply no direct influence), and Wells undoubtedly did base Monson on Maxim (and exacted a form of revenge on Imperial College for not allowing him to complete his degree by having Monson's first flight end in tragedy when his flying machine crashes into the tower of Imperial College, smashing it to pieces).

Here is a photo of Maxim's flying machine seen from the port side (the 'nose' of the craft is on the left):

Maxim came closest to powered flight before the Wright brothers (his monster steam plane, with a wingspan slightly greater than that of a Lancaster bomber, actually did take off under its own power, but wasn't steered so fails to count as a proper flight). More information on Maxim and his machine can be found here:

http://www.flyingmachines.org/maxim.html

And here:

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/maxim.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes there's very little doubt as to where Warwick Goble took his design from.
Did Wells have any say in the designs of the Fighting Machines or the Flying Machine for the Pearson Magazine? I've heard he didn't like Warwick Goble designs. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:29 pm 

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Yes there's very little doubt as to where Warwick Goble took his design from.
Did Wells have any say in the designs of the Fighting Machines or the Flying Machine for the Pearson Magazine? I've heard he didn't like Warwick Goble designs. :-k

I'd say he didn't, since he added a passage to the novel version which derided the attempts of a certain artist to depict Martian machinery.

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:19 pm 

Thanks Lonesome and McTodd. I was doing some research into powered flight before the Wright Brothers earlier this year and I clean forgot about Maxim's machine. Looking at the picture it certainly resembiles Globe's picture

It might be worth a serious look at how aviation crops up in Wells' work. As well as "Argonauts of the Air" and "WoTW" there are also the short stories: "My First Aeroplane"and "The Flying Man" - whose character makes a parachute from a tent - "The War in the Air" of course, but also "When the Sleeper Wakes" whose Rip Van Winkle type hero, Graham, learns how to fly, and climaxes wih an air battle. "Tono-Bungay" where it's narrator, George Ponderevo" is building his own aeroplane, and "Things to Come" with "Wings over The World."

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ]