Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:28 pm 

I had read someplace that shortly after Wells' story was released, an unauthorized 'pirated' version of it appeared (serially, I think) in a Boston newspaper or magazine thing. This, IIRC, was around 1899 or so.<br /><br />The story was rewritten to take place in New England, with Massachusetts towns being the setting. Would prove interesting to read and compare -- if it really existed.<br /><br />Does anyone know any more about this early unauthorized version? Did it really exist? I can do some searching in the archives of the Boston Public Library, but it's a real needle-in-a-haystack game if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. (Publication, dates, etc.)<br /><br />TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:29 pm 
Martian War Lord

never heard of it> would like to read it though.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:01 pm 
Tripod King

im afraid no copies exist i hunted such defilements down and burned them years ago :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Burning books is bad for the eco system! Do you want to leave nothing for the Martians to take ove?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:26 am 

Well i wouldn't worry too much.I doubt if any Martian would even find it let alone read it with them landing 3000 miles away in woking :D

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:00 pm 

Wells authorized the serialization of his original story, but an American editor decided to have it rewritten to fit US locales. They changed elements of his story that infuriated him (perhaps like what is being done on a certian film shoot these days), and he sent forceful letters of protest to the paper. Like there was much he could really do about it. So Wells learned early on that his story isn't good enough in its original context. Well, for some...

"One attains the gifts of reason, empowered with the bitter truth. Through suffering perseverance to the end, One's strength emerges frozen in steel. I am He, Conqueror of Fear." - ORDER FROM CHAOS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:52 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Charles+Mar 4 2005, 10:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles @ Mar 4 2005, 10:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Wells authorized the serialization of his original story, but an American editor decided to have it rewritten to fit US locales....<br />[right][snapback]1753[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Charles,<br />That's what I've read too. My original question was just what the publication details were for the American serialization. I'd like to look them up (if I can) and see what it was like. The Boston Public Library has a good local periodicals collection, but it's an itimidating haystack if you don't have some good references.<br /><br />Anyone have any specifics? Publication name? Dates?

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ]