View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Realistic Resistance?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:06 pm 
Tripod King

Could the British have continued resistance against the Martians? In the novel, there was talk of the production of automatic mines to be planted in the path of the Martian advance. Setting off the mines via remote control (i.e., wires) obviously wouldn't work for long; the Martians would just spray the area with Black Smoke and smother the operators.

One defensive tactic that might work for static defensive positions would be to preposition large amounts of water to be sprayed out with hoses. The Black Smoke turns to powder when it comes in contact with water, after which it is harmless. This would allow the masked artillery batteries to survive long enough to get in some shots. Anyone else have any more ideas?

Post subject: Re: Realistic Resistance?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 am 
Martian War Lord

I've seen the fire-fighting hand pumps they used in the Victorian period and I don't think it would be up to the job of damping down the black smoke as Wells described it. I'm not really up on military history, Did the British army have protection against gas attack back around the turn of the century? If they didn't I think it was too late to start developing it half way through the invasion, England had turned into a rabble with everyone fleeing for their lives, as the Artilleryman put it "We're Beat!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ]