View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 18 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Hi<br /><br />I'm a big fan of audio books and have well over 1000 recordings on cassette and cd. but I can't find a decent unabridged copy of TWOTW, I have the EMI abridged version but its so badly edited or should I say butchered :angry: (no artilleryman mentioned,no Thunder Child scene ,no red weed and the story ends with you believing his wife is dead, I count myself lucky it has martians in it). I have an unabriged American copy,narrated by Robin Lawson, but I feel this great old English novel should be read by an English voice. no offence to any American visitors. I can't imagine why an English publisher hasn't done it, or have they?. Can anybody help?. :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:19 pm 

We have the cd which is narrated by Richard Burton (i think) and have 2 CD's. Unabridged and abridged. I have no idea where it is from. My nan got it for my dad.o.O but i know there definatly is one narrated by an englishman.

The six guns we had seen now fired simultaneously, decapitating a Fighting Machine. The Martian inside the hood was slain, splashed to the four winds, and the body, nothing now but an intricate device of metal, went whirling to destruction. As the other Monsters advanced, people ran away blindly, the Artilleryman among them, but I jumped into the water and hid until forced up to breathe. Now the guns spoke again, but this time the Heat Ray sent them to oblivion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:37 pm 
Advanced Member

"no artilleryman mentioned,no Thunder Child scene ,no red weed and the story ends with you believing his wife is dead"<br /><br />....Burn it.....Burn it now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

Sazz<br /><br />Are you talking about the Jeff Waynes musical version?.<br /><br />I'm talking about an unabridged book about 7 or 8 hours long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:57 pm 
Advanced Member

As a matter of interest, which actor would everyone like to have do a talking book version of WOTW?<br /><br />I vote for Sean Pertwee. I think his voice would be perfect.<br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:11 am 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-Fenris+Jan 22 2005, 11:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fenris @ Jan 22 2005, 11:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As a matter of interest, which actor would everyone like to have do a talking book version of WOTW?<br /><br />I vote for Sean Pertwee. I think his voice would be perfect.<br />[right][snapback]361[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Tom Cruise. :asskiss: <br /><br /><br />John Motson and Alan Hansen (English Football Commentators)<br /><br />Motty: "Oh and the tripod swings in a canister of the black dust from Wimbledon, met by a fighting machine in the middle who puts in a quick heat ray towards the Houses of Parliament but OH! he's hit Big Ben so close from the big martian in the centre!"<br /><br />Hansen: "Well as we see here on the video replay thats absolutely atrocious defending from the British armed forces, the navy's nowhere in sight and as you'll see highlighted in the corner of the screen the army has been put to flight with the civilian population, there's just no stopping this Martian side today John, I think the only chance the humans have is to build vast cities underground!"

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:34 am 
Martian War Lord

LOL @ Leper :D :D

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:42 am 

Ah, um, yes. Um. Yah, you know, i was talking about the um musical...I FOOLED YOU ALL xD Lol, sorry, i got it wrong then.

The six guns we had seen now fired simultaneously, decapitating a Fighting Machine. The Martian inside the hood was slain, splashed to the four winds, and the body, nothing now but an intricate device of metal, went whirling to destruction. As the other Monsters advanced, people ran away blindly, the Artilleryman among them, but I jumped into the water and hid until forced up to breathe. Now the guns spoke again, but this time the Heat Ray sent them to oblivion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Jan 23 2005, 02:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Jan 23 2005, 02:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Tom Cruise.  :asskiss: <br />John Motson and Alan Hansen (English Football Commentators)<br />[right][snapback]361[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Like it Leper, like it. :lol: :lol: <br /><br />But joking apart, I think Sean Barrett, William Gaminara or Steven Pacey would do an excellent job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:13 pm 

The Worldtainment Corporation released an excellent audio book version on MP3 about three years ago.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.worldtainment.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=worldtainment&Category_Code=3' target='_blank'>http://www.worldtainment.com/Merchant2/mer...Category_Code=3</a>

"One attains the gifts of reason, empowered with the bitter truth. Through suffering perseverance to the end, One's strength emerges frozen in steel. I am He, Conqueror of Fear." - ORDER FROM CHAOS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:56 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thanks Charles, Iv'e just placed an order :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:20 am 

Ive just brought one too, yay. Thanks Charles.<br /><br />Oh BTW when I click on the item, cause it says WOTW and Time Machine it only said about the Time Machine, I think its both just strange they didnt mention WOTW.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.worldtainment.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=worldtainment&Product_Code=ad11&Category_Code=3' target='_blank'>Click Here</a><br /><br />Click on the link and you will see what I mean. :afro:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

-_- It will be it says Total time running: 11 hours 17 minutes. Performed by Patrick Horgan. I have a 'Penguin' unabridged copy of 'The Time Machine' narrated by Brian Cox (very good by the way)but it only lasts 3 hours 30 mins.<br /><br />Unless Patrick Horgan is a very slow reader :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:03 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Feb 2 2005, 01:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Feb 2 2005, 01:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Oh BTW when I click on the item, cause it says WOTW and Time Machine it only said about the Time Machine, I think its both just strange they didnt mention WOTW.<br /><br />[right][snapback]529[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Martian Myster, I got my copy yesterday, :mellow: WOTW is there don't panic. :D <br /><br />good quality for an mp3 file. and an English reader. :) <br /><br />Thanks again Charles :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:19 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 6 2005, 04:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 6 2005, 04:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Martian Myster, I got my copy yesterday, :mellow:  WOTW is there don't panic. :D <br /><br />good quality for an mp3 file. and an English reader. :) <br /><br />Thanks again Charles :D<br />[right][snapback]614[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Glad you like it. I think its an excellent version. Horgan's voice lends it a good deal of authenticity - to my ears, anyway.<br /><br />WOTW clocks in at just under 8 hours. The pace is good - never rushed. Horgan also read "The Island of Dr. Moreau," The Invisible Man," and "The Crystal Egg" for the other MP3.<br /><br />Enjoy!

"One attains the gifts of reason, empowered with the bitter truth. Through suffering perseverance to the end, One's strength emerges frozen in steel. I am He, Conqueror of Fear." - ORDER FROM CHAOS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Charles+Feb 7 2005, 03:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles @ Feb 7 2005, 03:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />Horgan also read "The Island of Dr. Moreau," The Invisible Man," and "The Crystal Egg" for the other MP3.<br /><br />Enjoy!<br />[right][snapback]622[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Bought the "The Island of Dr. Moreau," The Invisible Man," "The Crystal Egg" and "The valley of Spiders" at the same time but haven't listened to them yet<br /><br />"my god, what an action-packed life I lead" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:03 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 6 2005, 11:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 6 2005, 11:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Martian Myster, I got my copy yesterday, :mellow:  WOTW is there don't panic. :D <br /><br />good quality for an mp3 file. and an English reader. :) <br /><br />Thanks again Charles :D<br />[right][snapback]614[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thanks Lonesome, look forward to listening to it, not come yet, hopefully it will be here tomorrow.. :smoking:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:48 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Jan 23 2005, 02:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Jan 23 2005, 02:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Tom Cruise.  :asskiss: <br />John Motson and Alan Hansen (English Football Commentators)<br /><br />Motty: "Oh and the tripod swings in a canister of the black dust from Wimbledon, met by a fighting machine in the middle who puts in a quick heat ray towards the Houses of Parliament but OH! he's hit Big Ben so close from the big martian in the centre!"<br /><br />Hansen: "Well as we see here on the video replay thats absolutely atrocious defending from the British armed forces, the navy's nowhere in sight and as you'll see highlighted in the corner of the screen the army has been put to flight with the civilian population, there's just no stopping this Martian side today John, I think the only chance the humans have is to build vast cities underground!"<br />[right][snapback]363[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :lol: :lol: :lol: Very,very funny,just nearly choked to death on my cheese n onion barm............

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 18 posts ]