Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: BBC Radio Version of "The War of the Worlds"
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 pm 

If anyone is interested BBC Audiobooks are releasing the 1967 radio version of "The War of The Worlds" which features Paul Daneman, Martin Jarvis and Peter Sallis. I don't know whether it'll be available now or after Christmas. I'll keep a look out for it.

They will also be releasing the radio versions of three John Wyndham stories: "The Chrysalids" dramatised in 1981, "Survival" from the 1980s reivial of "Appointment with Fear" and the 2003 adaptation of "The Midwich Cuckoos" with Bill Nighy and Sarah Parrish (who'll also be appearing in the Doctor Who special this Christmas).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:16 pm 
Martian War Lord

I'll look out for those thanks.
My own Radio Play is being Broadcast on Jan 4th 2007 at 10pm. It is called Tin Man. It's my first radio play. I'll post a reminder to everyone nearer the time.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thanks for that 'morrisvan' I have the 67 version already, I downloaded it from the net, but the quality isn't great so I shall keep an eye out for it :D cheers.

=D> Great news 'Loz'.
For those who are interested here's a little more information; it's on BBC Radio 3 on Jan 4. at 10pm and the program is called 'The Wire', Best of luck Loz, I hope this is the first of many =D> :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:01 pm 

Have just checked the BBC Shop site and "The War of the Worlds" and the other plays I mentioned will be released on 08/01/2007. It will be priced £15.99.

Good luck with your play Roz. I'll remember to listen to it.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:21 am 
Martian War Lord

:-k 8-[ Who's Roz? :lol:

Thanks for the additional info 'morrisvan' :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 pm 

Apologies. Roz is Loz when the wrong key is pressed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:25 am 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Have just checked the BBC Shop site and "The War of the Worlds" and the other plays I mentioned will be released on 08/01/2007. It will be priced £15.99.

Good luck with your play Roz. I'll remember to listen to it.

Thanks

Thanks.

morrisvan wrote:
Apologies. Roz is Loz when the wrong key is pressed.

No worries.

And thanks for that post Lonesome. Where did you get the info? :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:13 am 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Thanks for that post Lonesome. Where did you get the info? :-k

From page 240 of the Christmas RadioTimes. (You also get a free Doctor Who CD inside :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:22 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Loz wrote:
Thanks for that post Lonesome. Where did you get the info? :-k

From page 240 of the Christmas RadioTimes. (You also get a free Doctor Who CD inside :lol: )

What's on the CD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
What's on the CD?

It's part 1 of a 2 part story called 'The Feast of the Drowned' by Stephen Cole. part 1 is about 70mins long and I presume part 2 will be also.
Part 2 is free in next weeks RadioTimes. :roll: God I sound like an advert for RadioTimes. :a037: They did the same thing last year with one of the 'Narnia' books, but that was on 3 CDs.

Last edited by Lonesome Crow on Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:05 pm 

Part two of "The Feast of the Drowned" will be available in next week's "Radio Times" and I think I read that "The Stone Rose" will be available shortly afterwards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:35 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Part two of "The Feast of the Drowned" will be available in next week's "Radio Times" and I think I read that "The Stone Rose" will be available shortly afterwards.

Yes, Part 1 of 'The Stone Rose' is free in RadioTimes dated the 13th jan and part 2 on the 20th jan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

I ended up getting it. It's not very often my name is the Radio Times. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
I ended up getting it. It's not very often my name is the Radio Times. :P

One for the scrapbook, :mrgreen: I hope to see it there more often mate. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:50 pm 
Martian War Lord

Just two more days to go Loz :D

Have you heard the finished play yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:46 pm 

Just to let you know that the 1967 radio version of "The War of the Worlds" is now available. I got my copy today and am listening to it now. Will post a review of it asap.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Just to let you know that the 1967 radio version of "The War of the Worlds" is now available. I got my copy today and am listening to it now. Will post a review of it asap.

Cheers 'morrisvan',
How much was it? and is it on cassettes or CDs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:45 pm 

"The War of the Worlds" is available in a triple CD pack of two hours and fifty minutes running time. It's retail price is £15.99 but if you order it from the BBC Shop it costs £12.99. The ISBN number is 978 1405 677059.

The version presented is by the BBC Transcription Services which means it is slightly edited. The cuts are mainly to episode three where two credited characters, an army corporal and the old man rescuing his orchids, do not appear, and episode six where two featured voice artists are not heard. The cuts are minor and do do not affect the drama. The BBC issue of "The Day of the Triffids" was also the transcription services version but it contained the deleted scenes in a seperate chapter. There are also programme notes by archivist Andrew Pixley.

"The War of the Worlds" was originally broadcast on the BBC Home Service from 9 June to 14 July 1967, and on the day the first episode was transmitted the afternoon story featured "Dumb Martian" by John Wyndham, while "A Book at Bedtime" was serialising H G Wells' cycling comedy "The Wheels of Chance."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:14 am 
Martian War Lord

Thanks again 'morrisvan' I wonder why those scenes were cut? it's not as if it were due to time constraints, as it's less than an hour per CD. :-k Maybe the sound quality had degraded over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:10 pm 

I imagne the cuts were probably made for timing reasons as the programmes would often be sold to overseas commercial radio stations. Also the Transcription Services would delete material that would either be lost to overseas audiences, or could be deemed offensive. For instance "The Goon Show" was often cut for overseas broadcast; removing scenes where the Goons made jokes at the expense of their regular singer, Ray Ellington, who was black, and topical jokes they made.

Sometimes recordings made for the Transcription Services were beneficial. When Charles Chilton remade the first "Journey Into Space" serial "Operation Luna," he cut out the first four episodes that had Jet Morgan and his team on Earth before setting off on their mission; begining the serial with their departure for the moon which he felt was a definite improvement on the original.

Have just listened to episode six and actually, one of the credited voice artists does appear. Beth Boyd can be heard as the woman speaking to John Nicholson's wife when he returns home.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:02 am 

Sorry for the delay. Here's a review of the 1967 radio version of "The War of the Worlds" just released by BBC Audiobooks.

It's actually a remake of a radio production done in 1950. The script was written by John Manchip White who did a faithful adaptation and is credited with this version although the scripts were actually written by the show's producer John Powell. It is also updated. Before everyone throws their hands in the air, thinking it's along the lines of the George Pal and Steven Spielberg versions, it still retains the original storyline although by focussing on the narrator it dosen't have the scenes where his brother witnesses the evacuation of London and the Martians' battle with "The Thunderchild". What I liked about this adaptation is that what is reported is put into characters mouths, and there are also several additions in keeping not just with the spirit but also with contemporary concerns such as a scene discussing the difficulties of fighting the Martians in a small built-up country like Britain. Occasionally the akwardness of the updating shows. Ogilivy refers to sending a wire to Stent in the first episode, and while telegrams were still around in the 1960s they were starting to become out moded. Dora, the narrator's wife sounds more like she's from the 1890s than the 1960s, while there are times you feel you're in a late nineteenth, early twentieth century setting and then a reference will be made to cars and buses, supermarkets and at one point, the Post Office Tower.

Paul Daneman is the narrator, or rather John Nicholson. In a clever touch he is an astronomer based at Ottershaw who witnesses the launch of the Martian invasion force. Prior to this he discusses with Ogilivy, now his assistant, about Mars and how desperate the Martians are to escape; incorporating material from the book's opening chapter. Daneman's performance in this scene and thoughout the production is very strong. Compared to the narrators detachment, Nicholson is concerned about the threat of invasion and Danemen puts across his apprenhsion and anxiety very well esspecially when urging caution to Ogilivy and Stent in approaching the Martians. Desperation and anxiety are prominent in Nicholson whether urging his wife to leave or trying to calm the Parson, and even at the end after the Martians' death he is still concerned over the possibiity of another attack. Unlike the narrator, Nicholson is gulit-ridden over the Parson's death and I also liked the scene towards the end where he agonizes over the fate of his wife.

Martin Jarvis is Ogilivy and it's interesting to hear him at the start of his long and versitile career. There is a hint of arrogance in his character in the way he name drops Stent and his scathing response to Nicholson's caution. Harold Kasket fleshes out Stent's character who is also carried away by the possibility of alien contact. Everyone knows what happens next.

A major change is to the Artilleryman. Here he is a army helicopter pilot called The Lieutenant and played by Anthony Jackson; best known for playing Fred Mumford in "Rentaghost" and who sadly died last November. Jackson plays The Lieutenant with a hint of an Australian accent and his role is built up in that he appears in episode two just before Ogilivy and Stent's ill-fated attempt to contact the Martians. Later the Lieutenant is with Nicholson when they find the Martians dead and appears again at the end to discuss another atttack. An interesting development is that when the Lieutenant discusses his resistance plans Nicholson agrees with him and they later go undergound to examine the deserted tube stations. During this the two further consider whether the Martians could pour Black Smoke into the tunnels, and how mankind to adapt to life underground: always wondering what is happening on the surface. Jackson's best scene is descrbing the battle on Horsell Common. A frightened, shocked man who's witnessed a massacre.

Undoubtably the most memorable performance is Peter Sallis as The Parson. Now well identified as Clegg in "Last of the Summer Wine" and Wallace from the "Wallace and Gromit" films, its easy to forget that he is a very versitile actor. Sallis, even though he's in one episode, gives a convincing performance of a weak man's mental breakdown, and it's interesting to compare this to his performance of the ruthless Coker in "The Day of the Triffids". Whether desperately demanding food, greedily drinking brandy or childishly pleading to look at the Martians, Sallis plays the Parson as a dangerous liability.

The cast also includes Isabel Rennie as Nicholson's wife Dora while in a small role of an army office is Christopher Bidmead who would later work as script editor on "Doctor Who" in the early 1980s. I also liked Denys Hawthorne and Anthony Hall as the goverment spokesman who provide some welcome gallows humour as their statements on the Martian invasion range from patronising to astoinshment and finally desperation as the situation runs away from them.

The sound design was by David Cain of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, and it's range and ambition is similar to those of "The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" ten years later. Cain's score may sound harsh but I felt it appropiate for the story's mounting terror. The opening theme consists of several high-pitched electronic screams while the first appearance of the Fighting Machines is accompanied by a crashing organ-like sound. I particulary liked the rushing hurricane-like sound that accompanies the arrival of the Martian cylinders which raises the tension. The music that is heard in the observatory at the start and the low creeping score heard when the Black Smoke is released are both flesh crawling. The sound effects are spectacular with the Fighting Machines depicted by the squeaking of their legs and the heavy clumps of their feet. Most effectively is the use of Martian cries which has never been attempted in any production with the exception of Jeff Wayne. These sounds are quite chilling whether heard over a tranquil soundscape of trickling water and church bells, or sounding eeriely in the distance in the empty London streets. Also memorable is the depiction of the stricken Martian crashing into Shepperton church with crashing masonry, tumbling bells and explosions, the whistle and "whoosh" of the heat ray as it is used for the first time, the disturbing, ragged breathing of the Martian as it emerges from the Horsell Common cylinder, a flight of jets attacking the Martians and being shot down, the menacing hum from the Martian encampment and a terrifying climax to one episode where the Martians tear down buildings in London's West End looking for human victims.

There were complaints at the original broadcast at the modernisation of the story, but the updates are minor and don't intrude that much. A lot of the book's descriptive passages are retained and I felt this was a strong, dynamic and atmospheric adaptation. I recommend this to everyone who uses the forum.

By the way, as 2X2L said in Orson Welles' dramatisiation, "Isn't there anyone?" I'd hate to think I'm the only one using the forum.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:18 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
By the way, as 2X2L said in Orson Welles' dramatization, "Isn't there anyone?" I'd hate to think I'm the only one using the forum.
:lol: There are sill a few of us around but the numbers have dropped recently, if you'd been here a year ago we were getting 30/40 posts a day, but now... :a009:
I've been away from the forum for a couple of days, struck down by the dreaded lurgy. :--O

Thanks for your very detailed review, As I said before I do have a downloaded copy of this BBC radio version, but it's not a great copy and I think it's probably worth getting the genuine article.

After hearing Jeff Wayne's musicale version for the first time back in the 70s My brother and I had great fun trying to reproduce some of the sound effects from the album, We used an old real-to-real tape recorder with variable speeds, with some surprisingly good results, such as:
An old metal gate hing at half speed was good for a Fighting Machine's Leg joint.
A drew full of cutlery dropped on the flood and played at double speed sounded just like breaking glass.
And best of all the lid of an aluminium camping tea-pot slowly rotated in the pot and then slowed down to one quarter speed was perfect for the unscrewing of the cylinder, as good as Jeff's if not better, or so we thought at the time. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:40 pm 

Sorry to hear you haven't been well. I hope you're better now Also sorry for the delay in replying but this last week was busy.

I have written reviews of films and Television programmes but they've just been for my own amusement. This is the first time I've actually printed one in public. As with all reviews people can either like it or dismiss it, but I thought this production of "The War of the Worlds" was powerful and the adaptation was carefully thought out. It would be interesting to see what John Manchip White's scripts for the original 1950 production were like as his was a more tradtional adaptation set in it's original late nineteeth century setting. I would also be interested how the sound effects for that production were done considering sound equipment then would have been very basic and also several episodes were done live.

I presume most people are either away, too busy or down with what you had. It would be a shame to see this forum go to the wall. How would you get them back. Sending offensive post would be too much and I think we've had enough racist remarks from Jade Goody. What if a new topic was posted arousing people's interest, or perhaps a piece of fan fiction?

Incidentally if I had a story based on WoTW that I wanted to send how would I post it to you, and if it was not possible where else would it be suitable?

Anyway, to everyone out there get hold of this adaptation and let us know what you think.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Sorry to hear you haven't been well. I hope you're better now Also sorry for the delay in replying but this last week was busy.
Yes much better now thanks :D
morrisvan wrote:
I have written reviews of films and Television programmes but they've just been for my own amusement.

Is writing what you do for a living? because you reviews seamed very professional.
morrisvan wrote:
It would be a shame to see this forum go to the wall. How would you get them back. Sending offensive post would be too much and I think we've had enough racist remarks from Jade Goody. What if a new topic was posted arousing people's interest, or perhaps a piece of fan fiction?
I am trying with my comic strip version of the story, but it's a slow process. it's still getting regular viewers but they don't stay for the rest of the forum, which is what I hoped would happen :a009:
Jeff Wayne is supposed to be releasing a CGI film version of the WOTW sometime this year, so we'll see if things pick up when that happens.
morrisvan wrote:
Incidentally if I had a story based on WoTW that I wanted to send how would I post it to you, and if it was not possible where else would it be suitable?
If you have a story please post it anywhere that you think suitable, although HERE is probably the best place, although I would post it in small portions, We have found in the past that if a person posts a huge page full of text, people tend to ignore it with the intention of reading it later and then don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:51 pm 

Unfortunately no. For my sins I've been in the public service for the last fourteen years; working for the MOD, the Benefits Agency, NHS Primary Care Trust and local goverment. I have done some writing but I haven't published anything and most of my stories are terrible with only a few that are quite good. Painting and drawing comes a lot easily to me although I have started writing again and would like to tackle a nice gothic story.

I do have an idea which I've been kicking round but I can't promise it will come to anything as I'm still working it out and it's also finding the time. As for the reviews I started it for my own amusement and also to exercise my memory in recalling scenes, plot details and bits of dialogue. It was also another way to keep my hand in writing. I did write a review of the 1953 film version of WoTW. If you're interested I can post it on the forum.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next