All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:03 am 
Martian War Lord

An artist or writer should never judge his own work, they tend to be too harsh and critical.
We're not expecting Dickens or Le Carré :-k but if you can do Dickens or Le Carré that would be great :lol:
And yes please do post your review of the 53 film.
post your Paintings and drawings as well, there's an art gallery on the forum, in the 'OFF TOPIC' section called 'OUR HORROR SHOW'.

Get Posting :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:47 pm 
Martian War Lord

Good review Morrisvan. Made me want to seek it out. Where can I get it from?
Is the description of the Martians the same as in the book? Do they use handling machines? And is there mention of the martian camp.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:27 pm 

Nice to have you back Loz. Thanks for your compliments.

I got my copy from the York branch of Waterstones so I assume it's available in places such as Borders and WH Smiths. You can also order it from the BBC Shop.

The Martians in the radio production are similar to Wells' description except they have yellow eyes; perhaps taken from the remark that their eyes were luminous. Only one handling machine is seen by Nicholson who refers to it as a metallic spider, while the Martian camp is referred to by the Lieutenant but neither he nor Nicholson visit it at the climax. Instead they find the Martians are dead when they approach a stationary fighting machine atanding in a park. Earlier on in the final episode though, both men cautiously watch a Martian; wondering why it hasn't moved, then see half a dozen Martians howling at one another. This terrifies them into taking refuge in a Tube station.

An interesting development that I forgot to mention is that the fighting machines appear earlier at the beginning of episode three when Nicholson, having witnessed the deaths of Ogilivy and Stent sees the cowl of one of them poke itself out of the pit. He and the Lieuentant later refer to the troops standing around the common doing nothing: still following Stent's instructions not to harm the Martians. This adds an extra forboding.

I'll dig out my review of the 1953 film and post it in that section. I'm also watching the 1984 version of "The Invisible Man" at the moment and if anyone's interested I'll post a review of that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:45 am 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
The Martians in the radio production are similar to Wells' description except they have yellow eyes; perhaps taken from the remark that their eyes were luminous.
Wells describes the Martians eyes as being dark and then says they're luminous, this always troubled me until I found out that the word luminous has changed it's meaning since wells' day. it used to mean protuberant or bulbous and now it means glowing.

Although wells did get it wrong sometimes, in 'THE TIME MACHINE' he describes the Morlocks eyes as being 'lidless' and then goes on to say "They stared up at me blinking in the light from my match" How can you blink if you have no eyelids? :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:09 pm 
Martian War Lord

I bought my copy of the BBCs 67 radio version yesterday and listened to it last night, I enjoyed it although I think the dramatic music was over done and sounded like something more suitable for Charles Chilton's classic Sci/Fi radio series 'Journey Into Space' which was broadcast back in the 50s.
Peter Sallis' performance as the Parson was great and if I had been John Nicholson (The lead character) I would have killed the Parson much sooner :lol:
As 'morrisvan' has already pointed out The Thunder Child battle is absent and replaced with an air battle in which some jets are shot down with the Heat-Ray, but it doesn't have the drama of Wells' Thunder Child scene. :a009:
I did notice some changes in the radio drama that didn't appear in Wells' original novel but did appear in Jeff Wayne's Musical Version, such as the use of a Parson instead of a Curate, I reckon Jeff must have heard this radio version before starting his musical.

PS. the cover picture on the CD box is naff :lol: but on the whole, this dramatisation is well worth £15.99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:07 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Nice to have you back Loz. Thanks for your compliments.

I got my copy from the York branch of Waterstones so I assume it's available in places such as Borders and WH Smiths. You can also order it from the BBC Shop.

The Martians in the radio production are similar to Wells' description except they have yellow eyes; perhaps taken from the remark that their eyes were luminous. Only one handling machine is seen by Nicholson who refers to it as a metallic spider, while the Martian camp is referred to by the Lieutenant but neither he nor Nicholson visit it at the climax. Instead they find the Martians are dead when they approach a stationary fighting machine atanding in a park. Earlier on in the final episode though, both men cautiously watch a Martian; wondering why it hasn't moved, then see half a dozen Martians howling at one another. This terrifies them into taking refuge in a Tube station.

An interesting development that I forgot to mention is that the fighting machines appear earlier at the beginning of episode three when Nicholson, having witnessed the deaths of Ogilivy and Stent sees the cowl of one of them poke itself out of the pit. He and the Lieuentant later refer to the troops standing around the common doing nothing: still following Stent's instructions not to harm the Martians. This adds an extra forboding.

I'll dig out my review of the 1953 film and post it in that section. I'm also watching the 1984 version of "The Invisible Man" at the moment and if anyone's interested I'll post a review of that.

Thanks man.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2