A forum for all 'War Of The Worlds' fans
Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Would criminals have looted Martian technology?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:42 pm 

Hello everyone.

An idea I've just had. In the book the narrator mentions that several people discovered that the Martians were dead before he did, and the artilleryman refers to people hiding in London. Suppose some of these were looters or criminal gangs taking advantage of the invasion to loot shops and houses and perhaps hiding out in the sewers (where the artilleryman may have got his idea from) Supposing these gangs helped themselves to the Martian's machinery after they died and adapted it for their own ends. A handling machine could be used for robbing a house or a bank or even holding up a train, and what if the heat-ray could be adapted into handguns or small cannons. There was a lot of anarchist activity in London in the 1900s which included the famous Siege of Sidney Street in 1911, so imagne what these people would do with heat rays or even with Black Smoke tubes?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:35 pm 

If the best and brightest of Britain's Scientists (Well, those who didn't get torched, gassed, or eaten) had no luck in figuring out how Martian machines work, what makes you think the criminals would have any luck?

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:16 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yuri2356 wrote:
If the best and brightest of Britain's Scientists (Well, those who didn't get torched, gassed, or eaten) had no luck in figuring out how Martian machines work, what makes you think the criminals would have any luck?

Practically the same point I was about to make Yuri.

But if criminals did get their hands on Martian technology, they might not be able to do anything with it themselves, but I bet there would be plenty of foreign countries who would be pleased to buy such technology at any price. :twisted: These same countries may decide to cut out the middle-man and invade Britain while we are still staggering from the Martian invasion and grab what they could, Wells said at the end of the book.
CHAPTER NINE, WRECKAGE.
'All the shipping in the world seemed going Londonward in those days'
Those ships are probably full of invading foreign soldiers :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:40 pm 

What I was suggesting was that if criminals did help themselves to Martian technology then they certainly wouldn't know how to use it but, they could easily bribe scientists and engineers to help them. Examinations might have been suspended after the disasters mentioned in the novel, but there might be some scientists who would be egar to get their hands unofficially on the Martian machinery. In the early 1900s you had people such as Konstantin Tsiclkovsky who came up with the theories of space flight, Robert Goddard who experimented with rockets and Ernest Rutherford who developed nuclear physics. Forward looking people such as them would certainly not want to turn an opportunity like that down. But there again people such as them were also aware of the dangers of peverting science so you might have to go after less scrupulous, more ambitious people.

Alternatively just imagne what well-known engineers such as Barnes Wallis and Werner Von Braun would have done with salvaged Martian technology?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:05 pm 

Nazi Rocket-Tripods storming the Maginot Line?

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:19 pm 
Martian War Lord

:D unscrupulous scientists with a very long stick to hit the on button :lol:

It sounds like a plot for the next 'League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen' graphic novel.
Having said that didn't someone do a comic like that? I think it was called 'Sherlock Holmes and the Martians' or something like that, Moriarty stole some Martian artifacts from the British museum, I only got one issue (and I don't think it was the first issue either #-o ) and it was way back in the 80s. Can anybody else fill in the details about this? :?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
:D unscrupulous scientists with a very long stick to hit the on button :lol:

It sounds like a plot for the next 'League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen' graphic novel.
Having said that didn't someone do a comic like that? I think it was called 'Sherlock Holmes and the Martians' or something like that, Moriarty stole some Martian artifacts from the British museum, I only got one issue (and I don't think it was the first issue either #-o ) and it was way back in the 80s. Can anybody else fill in the details about this? :?:

I've read about this one but that's all I know. That it exists as you say and that's the basic premise. Moriarty using Martian tech agaisnt Sherlock

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ]